Pc Geeks Needed :)

Hannah Shucksmith

1st problem:

On the main PC our Windows XP OS has decided to corrupt, and since we don't have the restore disk or anything we decided to just install a spare copy of Vista that we had. Since connecting the ethernet cable it's become apparent that we're missing an ethernet controller driver (or something, don't hold me to that termonology!) We're using an Emachines E4026 if that's any help. Anyone know where we can find the drivers for it, since all the one's we've tried havn't worked.

2nd problem:

On the laptop the OS also corrupted and we've have to install Vista (a different one to the first, obviously...) and we're missing the sound card drivers and we're having trouble finding a downloadable sound card that isn't carrying a whack load of virus' and such. The laptop is a Compaq Evo N610c.

I'm sure both problems could be easily solved, but neither of us have got a clue :lol:

Any help would be much appreciated (:

Edited by Hannah Shucksmith

First one - find device manager in the control panel, look for the network adapter section and find the proper name for the network card, then look on an internet-capable computer for drivers for it.

Second one - find device manager in the control panel, look for the sound controller section and find the proper name for the sound card, then look on an internet-capable computer for drivers for it.

Pah, if it's a computer geek you be wanting, coulda waited till I woke up me old wench... :P

Do a windows update, I get all my drivers off there pretty much. (On the laptop).

On the desktop, you'll need to find the card make and model, go get the drivers for it on the laptop, transfer them across to the desktop and install them.

Edited by Muel

A few things...

1. You're going to have a bit of a problem here my friend. Emachines doesn't seem to offer much in support of Vista drivers - I had a quick look around but couldn't find much, none that weren't trying to sell you them on a CD anyway.

Its the same, but slightly worse, with the HP laptop - no results. Although to be honest I'm suprised its able to run Vista at all!

2. Alternatively, you could find out the exact make and model of both network/audio card and download the Vista driver straight from the manufacture - as someone said earlier, going through device manager won't reveal the made/model of the hardware, it'll be registered as an 'unknown device' - you're better option is to find the PC on the net and look over the spec and find the details that way, or just open the cover and see (wouldn't recommend that for the laptop though!!)

3. The desktop ethernet problem - is the ethernet port on the motherboard itself or is it a seperate network card?

Can you post up a screenshot of the device manager and see how these are detailed in there?

4. As Muel said, you could try a system update and see what that throws up, but personally I'd stick to XP simply due to the specifications of the two machines - you'll have a much smoother machine and the drivers are available without a problem.

EDIT: By the way, are you certain the drivers you previously download have installed? Most driver packages unzip to another location and usually don't automatically install! The default for drivers is normally C:/Windows/Drivers or just C:/DRIVERS - have a look in there and look for the ethernet/audio driver folders.

In there, hopefully there will be a .exe file (called 'Setup' or 'Install') which will then automatically install the driver.

Of course, you could go to device manager, view the unrecognised device and click 'Reinstall Driver' - you may have to search a specific location though; just use the C:/Windows/Drivers etc path and see how it goes.

Drivers can be awkward f**kers sometimes and its a nightmare to revive a system if no backup of the drivers was taken beforehand.

Edited by anzo

This program is great for backing up and reinstalling drivers - Its a good idea to keep a backup of your drivers on a USB stick, saves a lot of pissing about finding them online, especially if you don't have a second computer available.

There are a couple of other open source backup softwares out there too :)

Excellent, thanks :)

Can you recommend a good 'iso burning software', im downloading windows 7 pro off the microsoft site (i get it for 30quid) and it says i need that to burn it to disc to do a fresh install?

Also, i would like to back up my bookmarks, saved passwords, etc on firefox. How do i do this?

Excellent, thanks :)

Can you recommend a good 'iso burning software', im downloading windows 7 pro off the microsoft site (i get it for 30quid) and it says i need that to burn it to disc to do a fresh install?

Also, i would like to back up my bookmarks, saved passwords, etc on firefox. How do i do this?

Firefox Backup - Free software, backs up passwords, bookmarks and profiles, very handy indeed. Once listed as a 'must have' freeware application I do believe....

ImgBurn - I've always used this to burn to disc; never had a problem with it. There are plenty of them out there, MagicISO is another one.

For the sound driver, check device manager to see if the device is installed. It might show under "Unknown devices" in device manager if the drivers arn't installed. Check under sound one too. If it has a yellow "!" - the drivers are probily missing and if it has a red "X" through it, then the card needs enabling. (Right click select enable).

If this is all fine, go into control panel, and select sound options, and then there should be properties within there somewhere. Make sure your sound card is selected within there, there should be a drop down menu. If its not, sounds like the wrong drivers are installed. Lemme know what you find

:)

EDIT: With the driver back up, I would rather download the new ones when I have formated to Windows 7. Least you know you'll get the most up to date drivers.

Edited by Ingram

Vista drivers might not exist for some motherboards, had same problem with my brothers computer so had to buy another copy of XP for it; before changing os on any system I'd check for drivers first :o

So you'll know

wouldnt it of been cheaper for you to buy a compatible sound card than buy a new copy of xp?