Good V Brake Set Up For Rear

tdubz

I am a bit of an old skool rider and like the idea of running a v brake rather than a maggy because of crashing pipe bursting ride over for the day issues i have previously had... anyway

im looking to overhaul the rear v brake set up on my planet x.

i need some advice.

best value for money levers?

best value for money caliper

booster yes/no if yes which one?

and finally pads.... ive read through the pad reviews as a first port of call but cant make up my mind.... its a toss up between:

tnn v pads

heatsink yellow v pads

heatsink white v pads

i currently run a mavic d521 rim with no grind.

do you recommend a grind if so know any good links to videos or advice threads on here.

your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

thomas

do you recommend a grind if so know any good links to videos or advice threads on here.

Grinding video, if that's any use!

I used to run the TNN LGMs and they were amazing. Ali's currently running the LGVs and they seem to be just as good, so I'd recommend them (Y) Maybe e-mail Heatsink and see how quickly he's despatching orders at the mo too, I know he was planning on streamlining it all so he could send stuff out faster, might be worth checking...

best value for money set up that gives good preformance is

sd7 lever and arms

tnn green or phat pads with a grind

you deffinately need a booster, xtr carbon is the best option if you can get hold of one if not anything is better than nothing. the main problem is usually boosters arnt wide enough for the spacings on most modern frames but youll be ok.

as for cable tarty sell a gear cable that you can use, ali noes which one it is. it gives a really solid feel at lever

ok, in my experience this would be a good setup:

Levers....Avid SD7 anyday, most comfy, light and very handy speed dial adjustment.

Arms....Not so important, Adiv SD7 again good, otherwise shimano work pretty well too.

Pads....with a grind DEFFO TNN LGV pads! work well on smooth rims too.

Booster....DEFFO worth having, not really to make the brake stiffer, but it will double the holding power of the brake. there are not many out there at the mo, see if you can find a Salsa or carbon shimano booster on ebay.

Cables....REALLY important I think! I now would only ever use shimano SP5 cable, it doesn't compress, can be cut to length and is very smooth.

I am a bit of an old skool rider and like the idea of running a v brake rather than a maggy because of crashing pipe bursting ride over for the day issues i have previously had... anyway

im looking to overhaul the rear v brake set up on my planet x.

i need some advice.

best value for money levers?

best value for money caliper

booster yes/no if yes which one?

and finally pads.... ive read through the pad reviews as a first port of call but cant make up my mind.... its a toss up between:

tnn v pads

heatsink yellow v pads

heatsink white v pads

i currently run a mavic d521 rim with no grind.

your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

thomas

get an sd7 lever, sd7 arms, get good cable, like xtr or something of that sort, and use the heatsink yellows for a smooth rim. You dont have to have a booster like you do on maggies, if you want one, its real easy to mod a 4bolt one.

ok this is what i was thinking

a grind following that video (thanks for the link mate)

some TNN V pads

i currently have a shimano deore v but i am open for recommendations to other calipers

a avid lever as advised by ali c

and an xtr cable

and maybe a booster of some sort

that sound about right chaps i am open to other suggestions

really humbled by the response guys i havnt really checked here for a while and u guys have pointed me in the right direction

thanks

thomas

any shimano dealer should be able to get the cable for you, its basicly oversized gear cable (must be stiff otherwise gears would be all over the place)

Hi Ali

Where abouts did you get your cable from

ive just had a look on the internet and google did not have much success

thanks

thomas

for cables and housing I use NOKON on 6 of my bikes, ZERO compression and has a very slick liner. it is pricey but well worth it in my opinion.

I am using it on the front BB7 of my mod.

it is also lighter than standard housing and comes in some cool colors (Y)

I run Avid BB7's with NOKON and very light flexy levers on my XC bike and they work great

hye, was looking for some advice,

i know this kid that has a shinamo diore rear V

and i have a brand now white hs33 in the box

do you reckon if he got some tnn pads, a booster and an sd7 lever, it would be a good trade?

p.s. i have v mounts, and a shinamo sp5 cable from my gears when i converted to single speed

or some heatsinks

hye, was looking for some advice,

i know this kid that has a shinamo diore rear V

and i have a brand now white hs33 in the box

do you reckon if he got some tnn pads, a booster and an sd7 lever, it would be a good trade?

p.s. i have v mounts, and a shinamo sp5 cable from my gears when i converted to single speed

or some heatsinks

where did you get your sp5 cable from?

or do you have one for sale?

where did you get your sp5 cable from?

or do you have one for sale?

im not sure if its exactly an sp5, but its a shmano gear cable, cuz my mad phase 1.3 came with shimano gears and it has a shimano cable...

i might be going for a new v setup instead of my Maggie but if i don't you can probably have it

best value for money set up that gives good preformance is

sd7 lever and arms

tnn green or phat pads with a grind

you deffinately need a booster, xtr carbon is the best option if you can get hold of one if not anything is better than nothing. the main problem is usually boosters arnt wide enough for the spacings on most modern frames but youll be ok.

as for cable tarty sell a gear cable that you can use, ali noes which one it is. it gives a really solid feel at lever

now this is what i call value for money

Key phrase.

yeah looks a pretty big booster aswell too big to get between my v and small seat (i have a planet x zebdi)

anyone got any ideas where to get this gear cable from ive been looking high and low since mentioned to me

also is it an inner or outer

thanks

thomas

yeah looks a pretty big booster aswell too big to get between my v and small seat (i have a planet x zebdi)

anyone got any ideas where to get this gear cable from ive been looking high and low since mentioned to me

also is it an inner or outer

thanks

thomas

have you actually tryed tarty? ino adam got some in at one point and i cant see ali having used it all and seeing as not many no of it, im sure they wont of sold out.

Its SP51, 5mm gear cable outer housing (normal gear outer is 4mm, but this is big enough for you to use with a standard brake inner cable). http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-sp5...-item12520.html

Also you can use BMX linear brake cables, these have the same 5mm gear cable outer. Thats what I use and its just as good as the Shimano stuff but usually a bit more expensive. I prefer Animal bike co cables, they come with decent metal ferrules(the end bits to the outer) which help to stop the outer from pulling apart.

Its SP51, 5mm gear cable outer housing (normal gear outer is 4mm, but this is big enough for you to use with a standard brake inner cable). http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano-sp5...-item12520.html

Also you can use BMX linear brake cables, these have the same 5mm gear cable outer. Thats what I use and its just as good as the Shimano stuff but usually a bit more expensive. I prefer Animal bike co cables, they come with decent metal ferrules(the end bits to the outer) which help to stop the outer from pulling apart.

thanks man thats made a lot more sense to me

and you found it in a shop which is like 10mins from where i live but when i rang them they said they didnt have any nevermind ill print the page and proove em wrong

im very happy cant thank you enough

i grinded my rim today aswell very pleased with the result!!!

its making progress

Best I have had: Avid Ultimate Arms, CRV pads, Avid Flakjacket housing & cable, generic Booster, SD Ti Levers.

I was running SD Ti arms that were super well used with pleanty of slop in the pivot. When I switched to the Ultimates it made things quieter. No loss in hold or bite from the switch.