The Philosophy And Life Q&a Thread

Phatmike

We've got most things we need, so why not look at what we've not got for a change. :) There are a fair few people I'm sure who do a lot of thinking, and it'd be cool to have a platform for that to develop, be it metaphysiology, or epistemology, or whatever - discuss!

I'll pose a thought; 'If I were in the zone right now, what would I do?'

Like I said, what questions have you got?

Schrödinger's cat is confusing me, might just be me being thick but i don't understand how if the box is shielded, how the Geiger counter would detect radiation unless radiation was already present before the cat was placed in the box.

Does that make sense :lol: ?

Determinism vs free will, discuss... Ironically, when this question is raised it tends to be the scientists and physicalists who insist free will even though physicalism/materialism is the platform for determinism. People of a religious or spiritual nature tend to argue for determinism even though that position does allow some free will.

Because the water isn't the river, that is just water. The river is the continuing flow of water along a set route in the channel. If you stepped in and hit the same water twice then by definition it isn’t a river (as it's not flowing). This is obviously meant to be a metaphor for the problem of personal identity which isn't quite so easily answered because it's much more difficult to define a "person" unlike a river.

Would you say that fear of the dark is similar to fear of the unknown? Or is it more the absense of light to be afraid of?

Like the vast majority of these types of questions it depends who you ask. The scientist may give the descriptive answer (something along the line of sight is the strongest of our 5 senses and thus a deprivation will leave us naturally afraid as this would be a useful evolutionary tool) whereas the spiritualist may give a slightly more in depth answer to do with the fear of the unknown and the philosopher may give a more normative answer on the nature of what it is to be afraid ect. Depends what your world view is.

Like the vast majority of these types of questions it depends who you ask. The scientist may give the descriptive answer (something along the line of sight is the strongest of our 5 senses and thus a deprivation will leave us naturally afraid as this would be a useful evolutionary tool) whereas the spiritualist may give a slightly more in depth answer to do with the fear of the unknown and the philosopher may give a more normative answer on the nature of what it is to be afraid ect. Depends what your world view is.

So what's your opinion then?

So what's your opinion then?

To be honest, I'm not really interested in these types of open ended questions. I prefer to study philosophy that is slightly more relevant to everyday life. As my friend once said, a lot of the speculations of philosophy are 'intellectual masturbation" very enjoyable to do but doesn't really have any purpose or point. I'm more interested in questions of ethics, political philosophy, philosophy of religion, and philosophy of science. Questions such as 'what is justice?' 'Why should I be good?' 'What makes an action right' ect.

If God is omnipotent, being all-powerful, then he'd be able to create a sphere that is undestructible (quite easily I'd imagine) but by doing so would undermine the fact that he is omnipotent and therefore would not be able to destroy this indestructible sphere. So how can he all-powerful?