Bike Maintenance

benthedog

Does anyone know any good websites that you can find out about bike maintenance and how bikes work.

I am hopeless with bikes and really need to learn.

Hi, try this link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=sidebarContext

Its a DVD, It's cheap and its done by Martin Ashton and Martin Hawyes both pretty good trials in there day, but at that price probably worth a go!

Edited by japslap

Just some ideas that have helped me...

I hung out at my LBS and helped out on small stuff. Learned lots, gained their trust and now they let me help out on all kinds of stuff when they're busy - and I get to use their tools on my bikes.

Another good way of learning is to find beaters or trashed bikes. Any kind. Take them apart, put them together again, figure out how it works. If you mess them up, who cares?

You'll quickly run into things you need special tools for and - over time - you'll begin to add these to your collection, but in no time you'll be pretty good and more experienced.

A timely topic , maintenance seems to be surprisingly overlooked . We spend vast amounts of money on componentry , then often neglect it despite some simple maintenance being free , quick and prolonging longevity of parts . There are some helpful guides on Park Tool's website .

True that, you seem I take a if it aint broke don't fix it approach, which in the long term has probably wasted a lot of time and money.

To help you mate, I can do pretty much everything on a trials bike, I didn't go out to learn how to do it though, I learn't through watching friends and working at my LBS where it was basically my job to build bikes all day and night and the quicker you did it the longer you had to sit down and play games and in situations like that you generally learn pretty damn quickly how to sort out any problems! Find a good LBS a few of them home I don't touch with a barge pole, which are unfortunatly the 2 local to me! In fact, I don't trust any LBS's anymore! There work is shoddy and they charge you for it, which is a double cunt punch.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I don't think i will be able to work in a LBS as i don't have one and I'm also a girl.

It was really just basic stuff i was after as I know practically nothing about bikes and there parts and looking after them.

The tartybikes videos helped but thanks everyone. :)