Zoo! Mod Forks Snapppppp!

Borat

thats the thing with deng parts just like my echo tr hub poorly designed, crap performance, poor bearings

Thats a pretty unfair sweeping statement! I think quite a lot of Deng's parts over the last few years have actually been very well designed, and if you knew anything about parts design and manufacture then you might not be so judgemental. At the end of the day Deng forks are considerably cheaper than alot of forks out at the moment, and there is a reason for this. Deng use a cheaper grade of alu compared to say trialtech or inspired forks. A few years ago when deng forks were all made from u6 they lasted well. Then the cost of materials started to rise and I'm pretty sure deng changed the factory he used to make them. It was a case of increase the price quite a bit and have everyone moan or change the material and lose a bit of strength. For a lot of riders the forks are strong enough, for some riders like me they really aren't. I broke quite a few sets that all lasted around 6 weeks, when the older forks used to last for about 6 months. I'd heard good things about trialtechs, so bit the bullet and paid the extra money. And now I don't have to worry about my forks...

Funny how more expensive parts are often higher quality eh? If you are hard on parts then you have to be prepared to pay for it. The Echo TR range is marketed as a budget orientated groupset for the average rider in mind ie. not for harsh bastards. Most of the TR parts are light and fairly cheap, you can't expect them to be very strong! Designing parts is a very fine balance between making something good and making something that will sell. You could make the strongest parts that last for years, but if they are too heavy then no one will buy them! The market is very weight obsessed these days, and manufactures have to follow market demand to stay in business. In a lot of ways they are quite limited in what they can do with design and manufacture.

Heres a few Deng parts worthy of praise:

*Older frames like the 2004 pure, most 05 frames and 07 Adamants. These and others that were made from U6. Compared to a lot of modern frames these are practically indestructable for most riders, and a huge step forward from old frames like MHZ, Orange Zero, Zebdi and early Echo frames.

*Echo CNC cranks, not the lightest but again very strong and stiff cranks

*Echo SL freewheel, widely regarded as the best money can buy right now

*04/05? Zoo bars

*New Echo BB design, the first of its kind made for trials. With a steel version that is as strong as any other ISIS BB, only with much better bearings and nearly 100g lighter.

Fair enough he has made plenty of parts that have been shit, but almost always these are redesigned and improved upon significantly. Either way if you had any idea how far trials has come in the last 10 years you would be more grateful. I used to ride on a 16" Xc bike with a Deore hub, I had to get the frame repaired every month it was so weak (ironically I was probably still better on that than 50% of the forum is now).

Sorry for the rant :rolleyes:

P.s. For the record, I have had a rear TR fixed hub for 4 or 5 months without any issues. I would be keen to hear what problems people have had? (other than just bearing issues)

Forks snap its a fact, I was surprised when I snapped orange trials forks a good years back. I snapped a new set of lite guys 3 weeks later. I resorted to using heavy steel forks such as tuf guys and pashleys which lasted me well. Downside as Matt has said is strength to weight, I needed a lighter fork so went with the echo pures/urbans etc and just changed them regular enough. The thick welded alloy steerer deng forks are strong but as with any bike product they have a life expectancy before fatigue kills them.

As far as the hub thing goes, trials seems to be the only discipline in cycling that don't seem to care about basic bike maintainance.

Forks snap its a fact, I was surprised when I snapped orange trials forks a good years back. I snapped a new set of lite guys 3 weeks later. I resorted to using heavy steel forks such as tuf guys and pashleys which lasted me well. Downside as Matt has said is strength to weight, I needed a lighter fork so went with the echo pures/urbans etc and just changed them regular enough. The thick welded alloy steerer deng forks are strong but as with any bike product they have a life expectancy before fatigue kills them.

As far as the hub thing goes, trials seems to be the only discipline in cycling that don't seem to care about basic bike maintainance.

Soooo damn true, although with sealed bearings you shouldn't rally be expected to maintain them in my opinion