Super-Thin Seat Post Options

Tony Harrison

At least I think it's 22mm - I'm yet to measure it - but on the Curtis website the next option is 25mm, and mine is definitely smaller than that.

Anyway, I'm after something small and light - in theory it could be a pivotal post, since this is a kind of 24-style bike, except it's a 26, if you see what I mean.

Any suggestions appreciated. So far a lot of shops don't stock anything less than about 27mm diameter.

Thanks.

Those pivotal posts are so soft you can file them down really, really easily. I made an old school one become a new school one with a file really quickly - I'd imagine you could get it to the right size relatively quickly if you cut it down a bit (which I'm assuming you could do anyway as you'd most likely be running it slammed?). Someone with tools could obviously do it a bit faster, but it shouldn't be a problem either way...

Or you could just cable tie a railed seat to your frame. Simple, cheap & light.

Bodgetastic :P.

Edit: Just a quick thought- the 22.2mm posts are the standard size for those kids BMX racers which used to come with the mini seats that were then used in trials. I have no idea, however, if you can now get these kids bikes with pivotal posts... if so there may be someone producing 22.2mm pivotal posts for them. Long shot though!

I've got a 25.4mm pivotal post here in work, the internal profile of the tubing is elliptical and at it's thinnest point is 2.35mm. You'd need to take off 1.6mm to get it to fit so it'd be pretty slim there, but you could always whack some extra tubing or something in there to sort of buffer it? They get thicker towards the top too, get up to about 2.5mm, so it'd be less drama there. The thicker sides of the post are about 3 inches thick so you shouldn't have a problem there.

/\ That was me (Mark), I'm just rinsing Premiere on Adam's computer...

Best part about the Inspired is the pretty much wipe clean seat cover. I had a Federal one on before, and as soon as I rode anywhere that wasn't clean tarmac it seemed to absorb any mud or dirt within about a 6 foot radius.

Another one to look for is the Eclat Gonzo seat - slightly nicer looking pan (IMO, obviously), and a bit different...