Zoot Vs Effect

shetlandtrialsrider

Well i have never ridden any of them but heard about a few problems with a Zoot, their chain tugs snap easily is one reason. its up to you, personally i would go for a zoot even after what ive heard, just get some snail cams and other things like forks and bars and you wil have a good bike ;)

In my opinion the with the zoot you are getting a much better bike for your money, as it has much better parts and features than the ashton such as the tensile freewheel, better maxxis tyres, better rear sealed hub and is generally in my eyes a better thought out and much better value bike. Also with the effect it comes with a strange gearing which isn't really suitable for trials and should be changed.

get a zoot, i got a effect and i have spent staks on it, had to change gearing, front brake because standard one is shit, back brake because i wanted a better brake :P and bars, the standard ones are realy thin, oh and the rims are the worse rims ever, i have donw no serious drops or anything like that i have only cased som tiny gaps a couple of time and i have already got 3 dents in my rim :/ go for the zoot, much better value or money.

chris

I had a little ride on the new Zoot at the last two nationals, and they're really nice to ride. It would be a perfect all rounder, the geometery is so suited to riding a bit of trials here, a bit of strret there. Compared to my 24UK, the Zoot rides a lot more trialsy, but street still feels very do-able.

Go for the Zoot (Y) The Ashton looks nice but all the components are are just standard MTB parts really..

I've been looking at getting another 24" and the 2 bikes mentioned are the ones I was in interested in. I have decided to go for the ashton with a few choice upgrades including middleburns, front and rear hope hubs, hope stem and headset. I basically wanted a bike that has the option to stick proper gears on it too; as in stick a rear deraileur on it at some point. I've been told it will arrive in about 2 weeks with all the extras I've gone for, can't wait!

Edited by The Dark Knight

Well i have never ridden any of them but heard about a few problems with a Zoot, their chain tugs snap easily is one reason.

I wouldn't consider chain tugs that might break for some riders 'a few problems', unless you're counting each individual case of it happening? Apart from the tugs, they're really great bikes. I was even tempted to go for one frame-only when they come out.

i still can't work out why the effect comes with i.s.c.g mounts, zoots rule

They're mounts for the Truvativ Hammerschmidt setup, I believe Martyn was experimenting with it before?

no offence to Ashton bikes, but you would have to be pretty mad to get an Effect over a Zoot.

This.

The reasoning behind it is things like - the gear ratio comes quite stiff, the handlebars are a little narrow, the forks come with... 26" rim brake mounts... and it comes with ISCG mounts, which is a bit odd on a trials frame.

Plus, the zoot is cheaper!

spec wise the zoot is amazin for the cost. i rode one yesterday and i can see its gonna be a popular bike, although a tiny bit long for my liking :( struggles to spin nice.

Fairly long stem on it which won't help that - I reckon an 85 x 20 or something should make it ride a load nicer. Roll the bars back a bit too, most seem to be set up with the bars tilted vertical/forwards a bit. From what I can remember the geo's pretty 'Inspired', so it should be possible to make it spinnier.

But yeah, the Zoot's got arguably a nicer frame and a better and more suitable spec for it. It's also cheaper, and in my opinion looks nicer. Not a tricky decision!