Salford

MikeCottTrials

Night life is pretty good but if you go in some clubs youll get alot of shit if your white, I wouldn't go out riding there, salford's probably the 2nd worst place Ive ever been. really really horrible, bullet holes in my friends house, stabbings, muggings ect all the time. Last time i went up my friends car was stolen crashed then burnt out and a few houses on the street were trashed, I went for 2 days.

Edited by ilikeriding

I'd recommend Leeds, from what I've read on here the riding is good and I was there for 3 months last year on a training course and it was rammed with fanny!

Enjoyed it so much I've arranged my mates stag do in Leeds next month!!

I'm at University of Manchester and with Salford being one of the 'other' unis in Manchester, it gets pretty bad rep in my circles.

I haven't been there much at all but went to a mobile NHS unit that was in the Salford area and it was a pretty grim place.

It's always going to be in the shadow of the main city a bit, but don't let a couple of opinions on a forum put you off from at least going there and having a look yourself. Train tickets are really cheap if you have a railcard and book more than a month in advance. And more TF members in the Manchester area can only be a good thing!

There's some half decent riding in closer to the centre of Manchester though and there are a few people about who I ride with regularly when I'm up there.

I don't know what you're studying and what grades you're expecting, but I'd generally favour inner city unis like Leeds, Manchester etc over out of town ones.

EDIT

Despite the UCAS system, unis do whatever they want at the end of the day. I got a conditional from Birmingham but got a letter from them in May (Yes May!!!!) saying they couldn't run my course and offered me a place on a different course. They wouldn't even tell me why!

I wouldn't worry about Leeds not responding, though confirming receipt of your application with admissions wouldn't go amiss.

Edited by konstant

Salfords not really rough rough imo, theres rougher places out there, ive spent loadsa time in manchester over the past 5 years, and got mates in salford uni, as well as mates living in salford. and it dont deserve the rep it gets.

my mates halls where in a rough area, we called them the concentration camp as they where surrounded by 15 foot fences, that were guarded, and it was no entry unless you had a fob or someone with a fob to sign you in. which sounds grim, but in reality, it means your halls are safe as fook,as is your car if its parked in there.

nightlife, i wouldnt go out drinking in salford really, save for a couple of places, but do as every other student does, and just go into manchester city centre, where the night life is mint, and its only as rough as any other city in the uk. girls, well theres as many of them as in other uk cities, and lets be honest, its not how many there are, because once youve found the one your set for life.

i wouldnt advise walking round salford itself at 3 in your morning, unless your a little nuts, but then i wouldnt advise walking round many places at 3 in the morning unless your a little bit tapped. and the roughest places generally aint that bad at night, when mates lived 200 metres from moss side(supposedly the roughest bit of manchester), id regularaly traipse in alone at 4am, and never had any aggro. yet when ive been walking home from sale (supposedly a much nicer part of manchester) at a similar time, ive had people try an mug me twice. but realistically town isnt walking distance, so you either bus or taxi back to your halls.

in the day time, obviously you may well be walking to lectures, but providing you aint walkin round with fiddy's hanging out your wallet, you will more than likely be fine,none of my mates at salford uni have had any issue, im sure youll find theres some streets you should avoid, but you get that everywhere.

• 2 months later...