Thread Striptease

register

Hey,

my rear magura mount now has 3 of 4 bolts stripped, now I have just messed another. The newly stripped one is at the point where putting the bolt in will strip it further. Do I:

a) Find somewhere that will helicoil it? (nr south east london)

or

B) throw it into a burning skip laughing?

It's a Czar Ivan stock. It's a nice frame, I like the geo, weight etc. But I'm guessing it won't cost the earth to replace it with something similar.

Let me know what you think!

im pretty certain he didnt mean too

it happens to us all

pretty shit reply IMO

Wouldn't say it happens to all of us at all, pretty sure it's easier not to strip a thread, certainly easier not to strip a thread let alone 3 of them. But as Matt said, daft topic, you're asking us whether you should pay someone 5 pounds to helicoil your mount in a frame you like a lot or chuck it and buy a new one...... Don't think you need anyone to tell you what to do there.

• Like 1

Wouldn't say it happens to all of us at all, pretty sure it's easier not to strip a thread, certainly easier not to strip a thread let alone 3 of them. But as Matt said, daft topic, you're asking us whether you should pay someone 5 pounds to helicoil your mount in a frame you like a lot or chuck it and buy a new one...... Don't think you need anyone to tell you what to do there.

im pretty certain he didnt mean too

it happens to us all

pretty shit reply IMO

Never happened to me in over ten years of riding. I've done a stem bolt before but never a brake mount. You just need to be more careful and think about what you can feel through the allen key rather than just mullering it until it strips.

Anyway, get them all helicoiled and you should be good to go.

cool, ok, now everyone's let off a load of testosterone:

I guess I'll go about trying to find a place that'll helicoil, I had no idea what kinda cost I could expect to pay, so yeah, if it's around £5 a bolt then it's a no brainer.

In my defence, 2 of the 4 maggy bolts where f**ked when I got the bike.

Which brings me to my next question: what kinda place should I go to for helicoiling? I'm not confident enough to do it myself with a kit. Car garage? bike workshop? Should anyone know of any such place around south london se5 please let me know

Would appreicate any input.

What's with all the aggrovation on this forum anyway? I though we were just here to help each other out, not wave our dicks around.

cool, ok, now everyone's let off a load of testosterone:

I guess I'll go about trying to find a place that'll helicoil, I had no idea what kinda cost I could expect to pay, so yeah, if it's around £5 a bolt then it's a no brainer.

In my defence, 2 of the 4 maggy bolts where f**ked when I got the bike.

Which brings me to my next question: what kinda place should I go to for helicoiling? I'm not confident enough to do it myself with a kit. Car garage? bike workshop? Should anyone know of any such place around south london se5 please let me know

Would appreicate any input.

What's with all the aggrovation on this forum anyway? I though we were just here to help each other out, not wave our dicks around.

engineering firm should do fine. dont know any where you are though. the kits are pretty good, theres plenty of help in the instructions.