Leaver Blade Question

Bobo_Grimmer

Hello everyone,

I have a question about leaver blades but need to give you a bit of background info before i ask it so please bear with me. :P At the moment i am running an old style hs33 with the star shaped tpa on the silver blade. it's fairly old but still works well. (it does take some pulling though lol makes your arm kill after a while) I also recently rode on another mod with a disc on the back. i really like the feel of the hope leavers and the way the break works under you, (i have a hope disc on the front of my mod) but i can't afford to get a new frame with disc mounts, a rear hub and break. So my thinking is if i were to buy a new hs33 with the longer leaver blade would that give me more feel with the back break and would it feel more secure like discs do? (if that makes sense) :)

Any ideas or info would be awesome, cheers guys,

Shawn.

I'm confused, if the question is would a new magura feel better than my current one I'd say hang on a couple of months and get one of the 2010 ones when they come out as this should feel better than your current one.

Or try a bleed and/or different pads!

I'm confused, if the question is would a new magura feel better than my current one I'd say hang on a couple of months and get one of the 2010 ones when they come out as this should feel better than your current one.

Sorry, yeah i could try a fresh bleed but would it be an idea to try a longer leaver blade just to see if i prefer it as i do with the hope leaver blades. :)

A fresh bleed (preferably with water for a lighter action) on the existing lever would make it feel better. A newer style lever with a 4 finger blade would offer more power as would getting a Fresh Products blade for your existing lever body.

Hum... ok. :) So could i get a new style 4 finger blade for my older leaver body? would they fit together? ( Sorry i don't know much about changing parts on breaks i've never really had to do it)

he is asking if having a new lever blade on an '05 maggy will feel like a hope back disc, i think :)

Answer: probably not the exact same, but may or may not feel better than your current one as the old maggy's feel very nice.

Edited by modifiedridah2k9

he is asking if having a new lever blade on an '05 maggy will feel like a hope back disc, i think :)

Answer: probably not the exact same, but may or may not feel better than your current one as the old maggy's feel very nice.

:D yeah that's pretty much it. (I'll still try giving the old one a bleed as i think since new it's never had one!) Maybe if i were to invest in a new maggy and get an after market blade for it... :unsure:

4-finger blades give 16% (something like that...) more power than standard blades, which should in turn give more hold as you're able to exert more force than you would with a standard blade. It does make your brake feel slightly flexier generally speaking, although it's not that noticeable. An '05 HS33 with LGMs, a water bleed and a fresh grind was the closest I've got hold wise to my Mono Trial. The bite is obviously a lot different with a HS33, in that you generally get more.

An RB or old-style Fresh blade would probably give you a bit of an increase in power, although not as much as an '05 with a 4-finger blade.