Trialtech Sl 26 Rear Rim

J Harris

im finally looking at getting a new rear rim, ive been looking at a trialtech sl 26" but the only thing that concerns me is that it only has single wall extrusion and im used to riding rims with double walls due to harsh riding!,

anyone got one or have ridden with one before? just wanna see what peoples opinions of single wall rims are and the rims life expectancy!

As long as you get a single wall rim with eyelets you'll be fine.

There's only really the Atomz rims which have eyelets and are single-walled? For the weight you gain from eyeletting vs. the weight you lose from single-walling a rim, you may as well just get a double wall rim and be done with it.

Having said that, the only rims I've seen that have had spokes pull through have been built pretty badly, so it's more of a case of the technique being the issue not the rim. Ali and Stan tested those rims for a loooong time and had no issues with them, but if you're a self-confessed 'harsh' rider then a double wall rim would probably be the way to go.

I actually found a singewall rim lasted longer to my harsh riding than a double wall rim, probably because it can flex and bend and then return to shape rather than being stiffer and staying in whatever shape it gets bent to.

Also I wouldn't worry about eylets, I havn't owned an eyletted rim for around 5 years and I have never had a spoke pull through or any other problems.

double wall all the way, ive been testing these rims with the new hope proto trials hubs and im on my 4th one since april. they are sooooo week

Tom you're either a complete basher or you or who ever builds your wheels can't build them for shit. Plenty of big riders use single wall rims with out any issues.

Drill a dx32 with 18mm holes and you have a double wall rim which is only 20g heavier than a tryall h0le but a hell of a lot stronger :)

And a hell of a lot narrower, depends what sort of riding you do. I went from a drilled DX32 to a Rockman (try-all) hole rim and the stability difference when riding natural was huge. Can't beat a DX32 for holding a grind:)

And a hell of a lot narrower, depends what sort of riding you do. I went from a drilled DX32 to a Rockman (try-all) hole rim and the stability difference when riding natural was huge. Can't beat a DX32 for holding a grind:)

True, it is 9mm narrower so stability could be an issue :)