Bigger Sidehops

monty221ti

Hi guys

I was wondering how i could get my sidehops bigger, i stuck at aprox 1 meter at the moment, how could i get some more hight on my sidehops?:)

and i find i very hard to sidehop from sharp edges like stones and that, should i just pratice it some more or?:)

Erik

sorry for the bad spelleing, i´m not english:)

I think your sarcasm detector is broken.. ;)

Agreed on that point - though seriously... Stop making posts like this.

I know you're making a joke out of a silly-ish question - but it's kind of a valid question, too.

Asking how to go bigger is silly sounding - but I think the implied question is "are there any techniques I don't know about?"

If you run crazy low tyre pressure, try putting some more in. There's a point at which low pressure only absorbs power, as opposed to springing you back up.

Also - assuming you get the timing right, the more preload you put in, the more power you'll get out. [Edit: Within reason :giggle:]

Edited by aener

thanks every body:) i will try to get some more bounce in my tyre and just pull all what i can:D by the way, i am right footed and i sidehop to the left. i have seen a lot of riders sidehop the opposit way, is that the right thing to do or?:)

You need to practice both sides to be flexible, but sidehops to the left or to the right (opposite your front foot or on the side of your front foot) are slightly different moves.

When you sidehop to your back foot side (to the left for you), you tend to aim the full bike over the obstacle (often even landing directly to back wheel). That is because you have a bigger lateral weight transfer to perform (moving your center of gravity) from the right foot support across to your left, and you don't want to miss the edge.

When sidehopping to your front foot side (to the right for you), you lean about one foot closer to the obstacle and have a smaller lateral weight transfer to perform in order to achieve the right balance on top of the obstacle. So it makes it much easier to use the front wheel as a pivot on top of the obstacle to bring the rear wheel up and make the tiny alignment necessary to get some grip with the rear tyre. With this front-foot side technique, you'll end up doing higher sidehops, with more precision than on your back-foot side. :turned:

You'll have more control in the end on your front-foot side. >_<:turned:

You need to practice both sides to be flexible, but sidehops to the left or to the right (opposite your front foot or on the side of your front foot) are slightly different moves.

When you sidehop to your back foot side (to the left for you), you tend to aim the full bike over the obstacle (often even landing directly to back wheel). That is because you have a bigger lateral weight transfer to perform (moving your center of gravity) from the right foot support across to your left, and you don't want to miss the edge.

When sidehopping to your front foot side (to the right for you), you lean about one foot closer to the obstacle and have a smaller lateral weight transfer to perform in order to achieve the right balance on top of the obstacle. So it makes it much easier to use the front wheel as a pivot on top of the obstacle to bring the rear wheel up and make the tiny alignment necessary to get some grip with the rear tyre. With this front-foot side technique, you'll end up doing higher sidehops, with more precision than on your back-foot side. :turned:

You'll have more control in the end on your front-foot side. >_<:turned:

thanks man!!! i used to sidehop to the right (front foot side) but i couldnt get higher than 6 pallets, now i can take 7 pallets, but i will practice the front food side a litlle bit more, and practice the preload:D

i´m a bit confused now, what is the best side to sidehop, i know i have to train both, but there mus be one there is better than the other?:D

also, how can i improve my (up to front??) and (up to back??) :)

There is not one technique better than the other, it all depends on how comfortable you are with the obstacle or the starting position. So you have to adapt your riding to what you ride.

does it help??:D

yes it does

actually you have to explode! when you preload slowly you will lose all the speed and the energy and your body will not to go high

so I would say speed is more important than tucking really low and touch your back wheel with your ass when you preload

craig lee scott was really good at side hop because he was really fast and explosive

the best scenario is speed plus ass on the backwheel at preload though... that would be perfect

I also found that "hitting" the stem with your hips while jumping also helps a lot...(asin the pic if that make sense)

sidehop_trial_4.jpg

does it help??:D

Picture being in the gym doing a bench press, if you bring that bar down slowly down its really hard to get back up, if you spring it down quickly you can "bounce" it back up, awfull technique but its the point im trying to make lol

• Like 1

Picture being in the gym doing a bench press, if you bring that bar down slowly down its really hard to get back up, if you spring it down quickly you can "bounce" it back up, awfull technique but its the point im trying to make lol

okay:D

so when i preload u should tuch the backwheel with my ass, and do it realy fast?:)

Preload as fast as you can!!!!! Trust me. FAST FAST FAST!

What Joe said, all in the compression/preload, dip down low and pop back up as fast and as powerfull as possible.

iam sorry that iam kinda stealing your topic... but this might also interest someone else.... ummmm how to preload if u are not so flexible? like i cant flex my legs as much as i could/wanted

Stretch, and keep practising. your body will slowly get used to it.

i´m a bit confused now, what is the best side to sidehop, i know i have to train both, but there mus be one there is better than the other?:D

also, how can i improve my (up to front??) and (up to back??) :)

Its 1000000000(x100) times better going to the opposite side of your foot forward. you see people like cls, damon etc going their right way, except for tunniclife, but he is the only popular rider to be able to go his (what is called by a few mates) his wrong way. Its not really wrong or right, but when i asked this question lots of people said on here that you wont be able to get past a certain height when your going to (say your left foot forward) the left.

Just practise practise practise! Im rubbish at sidehopping but i find my self getting an inch or so higher every day almost.