Rear Brake On The Left ?

robintrial

hello trial riders

maybe it's a stupid question but i want to know.

why do all of the UK riders (most of them) have their rear brake on the left and the front brake on the right :S

beceaus i placed my brakes different and I also noticed that no other people do it like belgians or french people

so do you have more bite than or wath beceause my right arm is stronger than my left .

please reply it's confusing

cheers

correct me if im wrong...but did i read somewhere that the law actually specifies which side the brakes go on?! (depending on where you are obviously)

well i think it has something to do with motorcycles (but it's just a thought)?

because de front brake (for me is on the other side than) is on the right side of the handelbars.

but I know nothing about that law or didn't found anything about it :ermm:

it would make some sense scooter have the same brake set up.

so the guys driving motor trials switch to bike and didn't want to change the pace of the front brake >_<

but it's just a theory :lol:

thanks for your toughts

correct me if im wrong...but did i read somewhere that the law actually specifies which side the brakes go on?! (depending on where you are obviously)

you are wrong. The law in this country as it currently stands is that for a normal bicycle setup (two wheels with pneumatic tyres, etc..) there must be at least two independent braking systems neither of which may rely on a braking block being applied directly to the tyre. So say for example you have a fixie style bike and you run it freewheel then you need to standard brakes but if you actually run it fixed the chain tension actually counts as a brake and you require only one conventional brake system

also before I forget, the reason we run the brakes on the side we do is that...we invented the bike so it is are choice!

Edited by sstein

it's down to the side you drive on the road, in the uk to perform a right hand turn you are to put out your right arm to indicate your move, you are then riding with only the left hand on the bike and the rear brake is the least likely to make you fall off if applied in an emergency.

I am pretty sure we drive on the LEFT hand side because of knights jousting in ye olde times, they would hold the joust with their right arms as they were usually right handed.

switching them round (euro style) and letting your younger brother's friends have a go and watch them try to skid, but superman over the front is lots of fun, just do it on some grass not tarmac! not so funny.

We have got three of his mates now, never gets old.

it's down to the side you drive on the road, in the uk to perform a right hand turn you are to put out your right arm to indicate your move, you are then riding with only the left hand on the bike and the rear brake is the least likely to make you fall off if applied in an emergency.

I am pretty sure we drive on the LEFT hand side because of knights jousting in ye olde times, they would hold the joust with their right arms as they were usually right handed.

What if you want to turn left?

lol :giggle: . I dont really understand, because on a motorbike the front brake is on the right and the clutch is on the left, so if you wanted to turn right, youd only have control of one brake, and if you wanted to turn left youd have 2 brakes... so surely the whole turning right thing doesnt make sense, as mikey said, surely u turn left just as much as right :P?

Not a clue to be honest, just used to riding bikes with "normal" brakes to me so kept at it :$

lol :giggle: . I dont really understand, because on a motorbike the front brake is on the right and the clutch is on the left, so if you wanted to turn right, youd only have control of one brake, and if you wanted to turn left youd have 2 brakes... so surely the whole turning right thing doesnt make sense, as mikey said, surely u turn left just as much as right :P?

Not a clue to be honest, just used to riding bikes with "normal" brakes to me so kept at it :$

yeah but on a motorbike you have Indicators so no need to release your handelbars :giggle:

and in a turn to the right you foot of the peg so no rear brake then ?

but good thoughts (Y)

Close but it is to do with sword fighting on horseback not jousting that way if you had a dispute with someone on the road you could defend yourself and I doubt that many people carried a lance around with them

I'm just almost sure that people driving on the right side of the road do it because, knights used to wear their sword on the right too.

So riding on the right their swords did get entangled when they crossed (don't know if it is the correct word) each other.

So i guess british knights/people used to wear they swords on the left.

Then you turn left as you're already on the left hand side of the road. Turning right involves crossing into traffic.

Ali is almost correct, in that it's because of needing the most reliable brake, but because if you turn right you're supposed to move to the centre of the road, indicate right with your arm and then turn. This puts you in the middle of the road relying on only one brake. If you were relying on the front brake and had to stop in a hurry there's a chance you could fling yourself over the bars into oncoming traffic. This makes back brake on the left a much safer idea.

Obviously when driving on the right hand side of the road the opposite applies as you'll be crossing to the middle of the road to turn with your left hand off the handle bars to indicate.

yeah but on a motorbike you have Indicators so no need to release your handelbars :giggle:

and in a turn to the right you foot of the peg so no rear brake then ?

but good thoughts (Y)

erm, not allways had indicators :P and you dont take your foot off the peg to turn do you?