Magura Or Disc?

Onza boy 2010

In any case you have to know if you want to grind your wheel or not. Maguras are great and have fantastic stopping power but come at the cost of grinding your wheel

not to mention once they have a grind they are no longer able to feather like a disk brake would. disk also has great power but if it mechanical it could slip they don't

always bind up super tight like a magura would. it;s really a power decision over a feathering decision. if you want brakes you can feather get disk brakes that lock

and bite super hard maguras.

You know you don't 'have' to grind your rim to run a maggy.

Infact, there are a few pads then work better on smooth rims imo.

very true but depending on the over all weather conditions you ride in, ie - wet, muddy,lots of moist

areas you may find that breaking power is greatly reduced due to some of these conditions where

the grind would be fantastic. It's really a rider preference. But I 100% agree with you.

i almost killed myself riding rim brakes without a grind. the pads were made for smooth rims as well. ever since then there is never even a question. if i even suspect im losing a bit of bite, i grind.

i dont understand how other beginners can start riding with rear or even front disc. maybe im just that sloppy, but i bash my bike to shit and i cant imagine having to worry about a rotor near the spokes. im sure the modulation is nice for gaps to front though...

i almost killed myself riding rim brakes without a grind.

That made me piss. Yeah disc brake's in my opinion dont cut it for trials, unless your riding in a muddy natural enviorment with bad weather the majority of the time, rim brakes all the way, for the sake of your back, teeth and tail bone anyway

i prefer a front disc rear magura set up nice

having a good progressive feel to the front brake allows for better control never let me down yet

for the rear use i use standard magura pads (red ones) with tar and heavy grind but will upgrade the pads in near future

i personally prefer magura rim brakes becasue there lighter and personally i think they look nicer but on my old bike i had front disc and that was better than my back magura and it was only a cable disc but its probally personal preference more than anything but a trick i have found for magura rim brakes is if you cant grind your rim go to asda or any other store buy some cheap hairsray spin your wheel spray it on the rim leave for like 5 or 10 mins and your rim is then sticky also this is a great way to make grips stick just spray hairsray inside it slide them on and leave until the hairspray drys

hope this helped :)

I personally prefer magura rim brakes because they're lighter and I personally think they look nicer. However on my old bike I had a front disc and that was better than my back magura, it was only a cable disc as well.

It's probably personal preference more than anything but a trick i have found for magura rim brakes is if you cant grind your rim, go to Asda or any other store, buy some cheap hairspray, spin your wheel spray it on the rim. Leave for like 5 or 10 minutes and your rim is then sticky. Also this is a great way to make grips stick, just spray hairspray inside it, slide them on and leave until the hairspray dries

hope this helped :)

First of all, this is how your post should have been written. Secondly writing 'hope this helped' is not going to get you validated, especially if you don't use punctuation or spell things properly.

Also as for the original question; if you have only just got the bike, ride it until the pads bed in, then keep riding it and only then decide if you think you need to change. Honestly it depends on your style and ability as well as your weight, setup and the type of stuff you like to ride.

Edited by sstein

First of all, this is how your post should have been written. Secondly writing 'hope this helped' is not going to get you validated, especially if you don't use punctuation or spell things properly.

Also as for the original question; if you have only just got the bike, ride it until the pads bed in, then keep riding it and only then decide if you think you need to change. Honestly it depends on your style and ability as well as your weight, setup and the type of stuff you like to ride.

i have ridden trials before buddy

there were only a few words spelled imperfectly, I still think people can read it, they're not stupid.

While people reading may not be stupid, other people do seem to be. Does it take any longer to stick the occasional comma or full stop in, or to use the correct word? Or would you prefer to start moaning in a few months when you still have not been validated.

• Like 1

While people reading may not be stupid, other people do seem to be. Does it take any longer to stick the occasional comma or full stop in, or to use the correct word? Or would you prefer to start moaning in a few months when you still have not been validated.

I usually overlook people commenting on spelling.... But you sir are a full on douchbag!

So what if some posts aren't perfectly punctuated, it makes no differance to what they are saying.

(on topic)

I've allways used a maggie on back with a grind, and a disc up front. i've been riding about 6 years now..... and has allways worked well for me.

• Like 1

I usually overlook people commenting on spelling.... But you sir are a full on douchbag!

So what if some posts aren't perfectly punctuated, it makes no differance to what they are saying.

(on topic)

I've allways used a maggie on back with a grind, and a disc up front. i've been riding about 6 years now..... and has allways worked well for me.

While I do not deny that I am in fact a douchebag, I must say that I never said posts have to be perfect. If someone misspells something or does not use capitals or misses a little punctuation I normally do not care at all. It is when it makes reading posts that much harder that it annoys me.

• Like 1

(on topic)

I'll have you know my post was slightly constructive to the topic...... was there any need for your post? which was not.

I'll have you know my post was slightly constructive to the topic...... was there any need for your post? which was not.

It was clearly stating that you don't need to argue over his spelling, or his grammar. If he read the rules he will know getting validated depends upon proper use of the English language and being useful.

All you to did was argue over who's right and who's wrong. My comment wasn't needed your right. It wasn't constructive but I keep getting notices that someone has commented on the thread and I come to see all the bickering.

Like I said if your not going to be useful Don't type it's simple click your mouse and leave the page.

For one to talk an ellipse has one three dots... for example we can correct you also.

just drop it and take it for what ti was I don't want to read anymore about who's right who's wrong.

life's to short go ride your bike.

Edited by Shop_Guy