Crank Length On Stock

isitafox

I had a quick spin on my new because earlier and the cranks felt really weird. Not sure if it's just because I've not ridden a stock since about November but it didn't feel right, I think the arms are 175's and they felt massive so wondered if anyone thought dropping down to 170's will make much difference to how the bike rides and feels?

I'm pretty sure my mod uses 165's so I can't swap them over to try but I don't wanna splash £50 on a new set if they won't be right. And I've had these cranks on my last 3 frames and they felt ok which is why I'm a bit confused!

Yeah it's exactly the same ratio but it felt odd when I was pedalling, I suppose it could be as I'm riding a frame with a BB rise of 35mm compared to the 15mm's on my last 2 frames so it might be that making it feel weird. When one side was at the top of the pedal stroke though it just felt huge, would running 170's make much difference to leverage and how much power I can put down?

Well this won't answer your question but 17:16 on 158mm cranks feels roughly the same as 17:14 on 175mm cranks. The maths is down to you.

Well maths always was my strong point at school.

Sadly though that was 12 years ago so a long lost skill I'm afraid! :S

Ive allways used 170mm cranks on my stock. Anyone tried 18:14? Sometimes think 18:15 is a bit light when your tackling things at a bit of speed, dont get much power. But on the other hand, for going from still, 18:14 may be a bit heavy :\. Opinions?