Stripped Thread

Tom Canham

Hi.

Was tightening one of the bolts in my brake mount and about half way in there was a noise and the bolt went loose and would not tighten, just spin.

I'm guessing its going to need helicoiling.

Will a local bike shop be able to do it. If not anywhere else that possibley local.?

and If i have to do it, what size are the standard threads and what does it need changing to?

Thanks

Here's were to get a really good Helicoil kit that you need! got one myself come next day :D really for £14.95 free postage :)

Click here

Video to help you do it

Hope this helps

Jamie

Thanks for the link, ill probably get that.

Ive seen that some kits come with drill bits. Will i have to drill the mount, as it does not show it in that vid?

Thanks for the link, ill probably get that.

Ive seen that some kits come with drill bits. Will i have to drill the mount, as it does not show it in that vid?

It's OK hope you get it fixed And Yeah you drill it to M6 size then tap with M6 tap and then insert a M6 helicoil thread which makes it an M5 thread :D happy days

It also make it a lot stronger :)

Jamie

It's OK hope you get it fixed And Yeah you drill it to M6 size then tap with M6 tap and then insert a M6 helicoil thread which makes it an M5 thread :D happy days

Jamie

Are you sure about this?

Because the mounts are alloy you don't really need to drill,you use the tap that comes with the kit.it's made to have the same thread as the out side of the helicoil.

Screw in the helicoil and your good to go.remember you need the m5 helicoils set.

Jamie

I've always wondered about this.

The helicoil is is steel, which is stronger.

The helicoil is threaded into Alu which is the same strength as before.

Surely it'll be the same strength as you have the same chance of pulling the coil out of the Alu?

Jamie

Just so everyone knows the talk of M6 holes is wrong. You drill the hole out to 5.2mm NOT M6.