Topic Change - Equations Help Please!

Kieran Morrison

another topic change, probably an easier one for you guys

How do i find area's for a square, triangle, rectangle and pentagon.

Square = 4 cm all sides

rectangle = 4cm on 2 equal sides, 8 on other 2.

pentagon - dont really know how many equal sides

triangle - just need to know what to do.

Also, when do i need to use pi-r squared? when finding the area of a circle? and how do i use it??

Cheers

Edited by Kieran Morrison

Draw yourself a diagram, that will definitely be a good start.

Edit: Just realised you've already done one. Well you know A + B + D = 180, so A + B = 151. If it's an isosceles triangle then the answer is obvious...

Edit: Question was changed! I'm not a complete retard :Plol

hey, I have a maths exam coming up and need to do revision but im stuck on a question.

1 - If m = 2 and n= 5 find the value of...

A) 2n

B ) (3m)*

C)N* -- 5m*

_______

N -- 2m

D) 3n** --10n* -- 25n

How do i find the value of these?

Cheers for any help, I cant ask my maths teacher as we got a 1 week holiday of school.

* represents squared. ** represents cubed.

Kieran.

If I'm reading this right...

m = 2, n = 5

A) 2n = 2 x 5

= 10

B ) (3m)2 = (3 x 2)2

= 62

= 36

C) n2 - 5m2 = 52 - 5 x 22

= 25 - 20

= 5

D) 3n3 - 10n2 - 25n2 = 3 x 53 - 10 x 52 - 25 x 52

= 375 - 250 - 625

= - 500

Edited by AndrewEH1

Kieran,

Have you actually tried to look up how to do these and answer them yourself? You won't learn how to do them just by copying from people here, you need to practice. The formula questions that you last posted, do you understand how AndrewEH1 got the answers he did? If we set you some similar questions could you do them without outside help?

Kieran,

Have you actually tried to look up how to do these and answer them yourself? You won't learn how to do them just by copying from people here, you need to practice. The formula questions that you last posted, do you understand how AndrewEH1 got the answers he did? If we set you some similar questions could you do them without outside help?

I only asked how to find the value of them so i could do them myself.

I'll just ask my teacher about that one, he set us like 10 pages of homework over our 1 week off school. I got most things done though :)

cheers for the help everyone.

I only asked how to find the value of them so i could do them myself.

I'll just ask my teacher about that one, he set us like 10 pages of homework over our 1 week off school. I got most things done though :)

cheers for the help everyone.

Are you happy with what Anrew has written you are you still unsure? We're only trying to help but I need to know where the problem lies.

So to check:

In the questions replace the letter n with the number 5 and the letter m with 2

two numbers next to each other with no symbol means multiply (sometimes a . is used instesad of a x (times))

Work out the values in the brackets first, so where it says (3m)* work out the 3 times m part first being 3x2 = 6 then square this number (times itself) (6)* = 6x6 = 36

when you have say a multiple of a number to a power, work out the power part first:

so for 5m* work out m* first, with m=2 this is 2* = 2x2 = 4

Then multiply by the 5

5 x 4 = 20

As a side note if you want to write a number to power without the abilty to add what is known as a superscript to put a small 2 above the number, for a squared number, a common way to type it is as 2^2 = 2* = 2x2, or as a cube 2^3 = 2** = 2x2x2

What year is that in English years mate? This is simple level maths in our school, and taught from year 7. The letter is simply a substitution for a number, so just treat it like a normal equation and replace the letters with the numbers given.

You been told about Mymaths yet? Your school should have a login for it, and you can use it to help with homeworks. If you haven't been given a login, ask about it in school as it is a great learning aid both in home and in school.

James

Just for future reference, x^2 is x squared, and x^3 is x cubed.

Or even x2 and x3.

Nope, it's credit maths in second year, its the exam to decide if im in credit or general in 3rd year.

It's an exam that you get to take home and use the internet to answer? Christ the Scottish education system has gone downhill since I was there!

It's an exam that you get to take home and use the internet to answer? Christ the Scottish education system has gone downhill since I was there!

No no no no, this is just some revision we have to do over our holiday, but its work we have to do and this is one of the things we have to revise over.

What year is that in English years mate? This is simple level maths in our school, and taught from year 7. The letter is simply a substitution for a number, so just treat it like a normal equation and replace the letters with the numbers given.

You been told about Mymaths yet? Your school should have a login for it, and you can use it to help with homeworks. If you haven't been given a login, ask about it in school as it is a great learning aid both in home and in school.

James

Dont know what year it is in England, its the year before you do the subjects that you have picked, if that makes sense.

We have nursery (2 years)

Primary school for 7 years (p1,p2,p3 etc.)

and secondary for at the most 6 years. dont know if that helps show what english year im in!

Agree with the answer to that one, but not the way it's written out- only because of the way Kieran's written it.

Thats the way its written in the book.