Off Road Motorcycle Insurance

liam n

I have a mototrial bike and i want to get it insured against theft etc.

have any of you got this sort of insurance?

and can anyone tell me the best place to get it?

thanks in advance..help is very much appreciated :)

anyone?

Can't help really, when I had the Beta 250 it wasn't road registered so I couldn't insure it with normal motorcycle insurance and it was only worth about £600 so I didn't bother insuring it by any other means.

You could give your home insurance people a ring and find out where you stand with theft from a shed/garage or whatever. Explain that it's not a road vehicle and see if they'll add it as a specific item on the insurance.

erm, some peoples house insurance will accept it if you add it to it, otherwise i know carole nash and performance direct do, or at least have done it in there past, there used to be a company that insured any bike off road upto a value of £2000 for theft or fire, for £59.99 i think, providing you kept it in a brick built garage, but the name escapes me.

Can't see any reason why most insurers won't insure it, as long as it's legit (registered, T+T). The only thing is, unless you don't have lights and run it off a day MOT?

EDIT: Didn't read your post properly. Call around house insurers, I know there are some that will. Also, I'm pretty sure you can get them insured separately against theft with some companies without it being registered road legal. Check out some MX forums as I'm sure that will point you in the right direction.

Edited by Fishy

I know a lot of classic car insurers will provide fire and theft only cover, usually for peoples projects, or for classics that are off the road for the winter. I'm not sure how open they'd be to a modern bike, but it might be worth a try with some of the less up tight ones.

To be honest you would be better spending a few hundred quid making your bike storage area as secure as possible. I've had insurance for my Sherco trials bike in the past and it's a rip off. Also, they didn't cover me unless I was at an organised event such as a competition. If I was to be out practicing and have the bike stolen I wouldn't be covered :(