Any Tips For My Bike

piperfraz

Hi,

I have been riding for around a month, and I was wondering what people think of my bike setup.

I have:

An Onza T-Pro, with all standard parts, apart from:

Echo Team 07 Forks

Onza Disc Brake

2005 HS33 Rear Brake

Neon Brake Pads

Echo Clamps

Echo Grips

What do you think of my bike? Any tips?

Cheers,

Fraser

Edited by piperfraz

grind rear rim and get tnn lgm pads or heatsink yellows, will give you much stronger hold.

other than that i think your bikes pretty good, got any pics?

you may benefit from some wider lighter bars too, the standard onzas and stumpy and heavy

grind rear rim and get tnn lgm pads or heatsink yellows, will give you much stronger hold.

other than that i think your bikes pretty good, got any pics?

you may benefit from some wider lighter bars too, the standard onzas and stumpy and heavy

Yeahs, I have a few questions....

1. First of all, I have an angle grinder in my garage, but how do I actually use it? (I don't wanna do it wrong and break the wheel).

2. Yeah, well the standard Onza ones are fixed to the stem, so I am thinking about getting a Trialtech stem, but not sure what bars to get, do you have any you recommend? I don't really wanna spend a lot as I haven't been doing trials for long and I have spent a bit already.

And yeah, I will upload some pis tomorrow! :)

i wouldnt worry about breaking the wheel mate, worry about touching the wheel on any part of your body! lol

it should have a screw on handle and a on off switch, always wear safety goggles, i got a bit of slag (hot metal) in my eye and it canes! you never think its gonna happen to you but it will eventually trust me.

basically turn it on, kneel on the wheel and grind away, grind in one direction and keep it nice and even, keep the angle of the angle grinder the same so you get a nice grind all the way round.

id get your parents to do it though, it says on your profile your 13, and the last thing you wanna do is to lose a finger or 2. i'm sure your dad will do it for you and teach you.

ive had a few near misses and a tool as dangerous as an angle grinder will cause massive problems if not used properly.

lastly always set it down disc facing up, if it somehow flicks on with disc down it can spin up, jump and possible hit whoever is near it.

bars attached to the stem? really? id recommend the echo tr bars, very light and wide, give loadsa' control. but they're like £45. maybe look for some second hand try-all bars.

• Like 2

i wouldnt worry about breaking the wheel mate, worry about touching the wheel on any part of your body! lol

it should have a screw on handle and a on off switch, always wear safety goggles, i got a bit of slag (hot metal) in my eye and it canes! you never think its gonna happen to you but it will eventually trust me.

basically turn it on, kneel on the wheel and grind away, grind in one direction and keep it nice and even, keep the angle of the angle grinder the same so you get a nice grind all the way round.

id get your parents to do it though, it says on your profile your 13, and the last thing you wanna do is to lose a finger or 2. i'm sure your dad will do it for you and teach you.

ive had a few near misses and a tool as dangerous as an angle grinder will cause massive problems if not used properly.

lastly always set it down disc facing up, if it somehow flicks on with disc down it can spin up, jump and possible hit whoever is near it.

Yeah, I'll ask my dad to show me and hopefully I'll be allowed to use it.

bars attached to the stem? really? id recommend the echo tr bars, very light and wide, give loadsa' control. but they're like £45. maybe look for some second hand try-all bars.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the stem is attached to the bars, I'll check tomorrow and post some pics.

Cheers!

Dont grind with a cutting disk fitted ( thin one) i work in industry and seen some stomach chruning things happb because people got lazy and thought i wont b grinding long cutting disk will be fine, they arent, and if you do get away with it, the next person who throws that disk into a cut will get seriously hurt,

Sorry, i had to mention it, its like 2am and im at work at 6 lol but had to get this out there, would hate the thought of hearing another nasty grinder accident, bork

Dont use ancient disks either, glue breaks down in them and they throw out shards

always wear safety goggles, i got a bit of slag (hot metal) in my eye and it canes! you never think its gonna happen to you but it will eventually trust me.

i know the feeling... painfull business. :/ i dont have propper safety goggles so i settle for my trusty moto-x goggles :P

I recommend bars with a lot of upsweep, the new try all bars look lush and so does the latest rockmans.

I think the upsweep makes it feel so comfy. I had a set of echo sl,s and although they are light they feel too straight.

What sort of riding do you do? If it's natural, good tyres are a must and nothing comes close to the try-alls for grip, but the price and the amount of wear pits people off.

i know the feeling... painfull business. :/ i dont have propper safety goggles so i settle for my trusty moto-x goggles :P

I'd get some proper goggles for what they cost (cheaper than new eyes), the Moto x goggles have loads more vents in so they let more shit in.

but

They're better than no goggles, its amazing how much a grain of sand sized speck of hot metal hurts :S

Dont grind with a cutting disk fitted ( thin one) i work in industry and seen some stomach chruning things happb because people got lazy and thought i wont b grinding long cutting disk will be fine, they arent, and if you do get away with it, the next person who throws that disk into a cut will get seriously hurt,

Sorry, i had to mention it, its like 2am and im at work at 6 lol but had to get this out there, would hate the thought of hearing another nasty grinder accident, bork

Dont use ancient disks either, glue breaks down in them and they throw out shards

The best grind will actually be achieved with a cutting disk, preferably a 1-2mm thick one, thicker disks tend to round off more and you will never get a sharp grind with a rounded disk. You should also use a disk with a fresh sharp edge (not raggedy and worn) for the same reasons, I tend to chuck my disks after about 3 grinds with them because they no longer have enough edge.

What you say about cutting disks is correct though, you have to be carefull and treat them with a lot of respect, the last thing you want is a shatter disk - always wear eye protection!

You'll be going on about ring testing them next laugh.gif

A good tip is to take time setting up your bike and maintaining it, saves a lot of time when you're out riding thumbsupanim.gif

Thin stainless steel cutting disk for me everytime (Y).

I used to be pretty scared of using the grinder but the more you use it the more you learn how it reacts in your hand, like when it fires back at you and stuff.

Now I pick it up, turn it on like an electric toothbrush.

I'd get some proper goggles for what they cost (cheaper than new eyes), the Moto x goggles have loads more vents in so they let more shit in.

but

They're better than no goggles, its amazing how much a grain of sand sized speck of hot metal hurts :S

the vents on mine have a thin layer of foam over them but yeah i might pick some up soon as i have a DIY shop 5 minutes from home :).

yess the worst bits when your eye starts watering and you can get the metal out :L

The best grind will actually be achieved with a cutting disk, preferably a 1-2mm thick one, thicker disks tend to round off more and you will never get a sharp grind with a rounded disk. You should also use a disk with a fresh sharp edge (not raggedy and worn) for the same reasons, I tend to chuck my disks after about 3 grinds with them because they no longer have enough edge.

What you say about cutting disks is correct though, you have to be carefull and treat them with a lot of respect, the last thing you want is a shatter disk - always wear eye protection!

I grind on the up right, as if im cutting through my wheel, keeps disk sharp and get a good grind still, and grinding accross face so grind lines go the grippy way! Lol

Yeahs, I have a few questions....

1. First of all, I have an angle grinder in my garage, but how do I actually use it? (I don't wanna do it wrong and break the wheel).

2. Yeah, well the standard Onza ones are fixed to the stem, so I am thinking about getting a Trialtech stem, but not sure what bars to get, do you have any you recommend? I don't really wanna spend a lot as I haven't been doing trials for long and I have spent a bit already.

And yeah, I will upload some pis tomorrow! :)

You shouldnt get a grind, 1. because neon pads get eaten by them in like 1 day, and 2. because you just whip tar on it straight away so no point :lol: your stem isnt attatched to bars, its just not got a 4bolt clamp its a 2 bolt (those of you who have seen the onza 2009 backwards bikes will know what bars and stem hes on about )

And its a 2005 hs33 you have :)

Edited by Kieran Morrison

You shouldnt get a grind, 1. because neon pads get eaten by them in like 1 day, and 2. because you just whip tar on it straight away so no point :lol: your stem isnt attatched to bars, its just not got a 4bolt clamp its a 2 bolt (those of you who have seen the onza 2009 backwards bikes will know what bars and stem hes on about )

And its a 2005 hs33 you have :)

I know haha, but does that mean i should get new pads if I'm getting a grind?

And yeah, I found out about the bars and stem the other day, my bad!

Also did I ask what HS33 I have?