Disc Brake Help

Rob.

Hi so today i put my new disc rotor on my rear disc brake, bedding it in was fine then when i went for a ride something started making a clunking noise when i go to back wheel and is doing it still :S i have tried everything to stop it clunking but dont know what else i can do now! the brake has just had a fresh bleed too. someone help me urgent before i throw my bike away :(

edit: Some people are saying its my pads, how come my front brake doesnt do it and how can i stop it?

Edited by Rob.

Sounds obvious but have you checked;

That all the disc bolts are tight

The Wheel bolts are tight

That the calliper is tight.

And after that just check everything on the bike. Go around and make sure everything is nice and tight and where it should be.

Sounds obvious but have you checked;

That all the disc bolts are tight YEP

The Wheel bolts are tight YEP

That the calliper is tight. YEP

And after that just check everything on the bike. Go around and make sure everything is nice and tight and where it should be.

yes yes and yes,i have checked everything :/ someone said it might be the pads but the pads have never done this? and if it will be the pads how can it be stopped

yes yes and yes,i have checked everything :/ someone said it might be the pads but the pads have never done this? and if it will be the pads how can it be stopped

Your pad retention pin in there?

Ive had one come off when I ran one on the front. The pads didnt sit in the calliper properly and moved.

I had a similar problem. In my case it was caused by bad quality disk bolts that would not tighten enough and eventually loosen themselves.

Can you see the disk move at all?

You could try with different bolts + PTFE tape.

Otherwise I don't really know what to suggest other than the fact that my rear disk always made a noise like this but they continued to work fine.

could the bolts be longer and bottoming out? (some hubs have closed ended disc tabs). What disc is it anyway?

Hi Ali, the bolts are holding the caliper fine and what do you mean by closed ended disc tabs? The rear brake is a tryall disc and the rear wheel is a tryall h hub.

I mean some disc tabs on hubs are not drilled all the way though, but the Try-all's are, so you can ignore that.

Hope pads do tend to knock, have you taken the pads out recently? If so did you put them back in the same side of the caliper? The back of the pads gets a slight indentation and the paint gets removed by the piston, swapping the pads over could mean they do not fit on the pistons quite as well and could result in movement in the pads. If you did take them out, try putting them in the other way round.

Update! Bought some new disc pads and rotor and it still making a tiny clunk in the pads :/

also how can i move me pistons further in the caliper for more room so the disc can roll a tad more freely?

Edited by Rob.

You can also sand down the back of the pads if they're making more of a 'bang' sort of noise - if they sound like a freewheel skipping that'd solve that, whereas if it's just a 'clunk' then it probably won't do as much...

You can also sand down the back of the pads if they're making more of a 'bang' sort of noise - if they sound like a freewheel skipping that'd solve that, whereas if it's just a 'clunk' then it probably won't do as much...

yer its just the little bit of play that pees me off!