16+ Banking.

Borat

Hey guys, seeing as thought most of you will be using a bank account of somesort by now. I'm needing advice on who to choose etc etc.

Basically, I'm looking for a simple account, where money goes in and out with no confusion and the use of a debit card.

I'm just putting it simply, so you guys can tell me your preferences etc etc..

Im pretty sure all banks do that to be honest. Id advise if there is a branch of bank close to you, sign up to that one. Most banks are crap on the phone so going in to sort out problems is handy to say the least. Personally I am with HSBC and had no issues.

I've had a Natwest account for years and never had any problems. Interest rates are shit throughout the board at the moment. Wasn't overly impressed with the Santander customer service. I had a Britannia (building society) Young Persons account for years which was good interest and they were helpful but only had a cash card.

If I were you I'd go to your local highstreet and have a chat with the people in the banks there, see what they offer. Useful having a branch close rather than having to travel for miles.

I went with halifax, what with using them since I was a kid.

They gave me a visa electron card. This is great, it will decline if you don't have the money, rather than making you overdrawn.

Although by some miracle I managed to overdraw it twice. :S

I'd go for halifax. You don't need money to open the account unlike a lot of others, and you get a debit card & card protection. If you open a 16+ account though you will have to close it at 18 and open a proper account, which is the same for all the banks i think.

As has been said, at 16 they're much of a muchness. I'd personally go with whatever one gave you the best 'perk' for joining - whether that be the £100 that some offer or whatever. Go into the ones local to you and have a chat with them - feel free to play them off against each other too, they are just businesses like any other.

Although by some miracle I managed to overdraw it twice. :S

I managed that too, I was told very specifically when i got my Solo card (kids version of a visa) that I could not become overdrawn. And then one day they changed up the rules without telling me.

All basic no thrills current accounts are all the same. Free, you'll get a checkbook and a card and that's about it. Just pick the bank that's closest / most convenient for you.

I'd go for halifax. You don't need money to open the account unlike a lot of others, and you get a debit card & card protection. If you open a 16+ account though you will have to close it at 18 and open a proper account, which is the same for all the banks i think.

Well, kinda, I've still got mine. Think it changed a bit when I got to 18 but I didn't have to sign anything.

Been with Barclays since my dad opened me an account when I was about 10, spot on :)

Got our business account with HSBC and they are absolutely f*cking useless, they drive me nuts.

Edited by Jolfa