Moves To Front Wheel

isitafox

Right, I'm determined to nail this front wheel malarky and living in an area where there's no other riders and not much to ride I'll need all the advice I can get.

The problem I have is this, from stuff I've read the advice usually goes "launch forward and throw your weight over the front end" which to me is complete jibberish. If I backhop then immediately throw my weight forward I just nose dive and go about a foot if that, I've watched countless videos on youtube, GET2 and the Trashzen stuff but I still can't quite get it in my head how to go about it so if anyone can give me a real basic step by step that I can run through in my head I'd be very grateful.

I have a stack of about 10 pallets at home so if people can give me tips on distances/heights to start off with it'd be awesome!

I have a stack of about 10 pallets at home so if people can give me tips on distances/heights to start off with it'd be awesome!

I little bit further than bike lengh will do for a start. You do have to preload as a normal gap with weight distributed more towards the front. Try gapping to both wheel or even not using a front brake at all for a starter! Hops on the front usually get my confidence in the fronts, like a little warm up anyway. (IMO)

Best way I can explain it and how I learnt up to fronts,

was riding the run up asif I was going to back wheel. Once I'm fully extended (Going up to rear motion), I push the front wheel down onto said object and THEN put all my weight over the bars.

Ending in some silky wheelswap :)

Going across a gap to front was VERY hard to learn. You have to really commit to the move.

I set up for a normal gap, drop the front end and give it the beans.

Then, instead of lifting the front end, extend your arms forward a little and try place the front wheel onto the object.

As soon as you see the wheel over it, shove as much weight as you dare over the front to stop the tyre/ brake slipping.

Then, either roll on or wheelswap. Whatever takes your fancy ;)

Thats my way of doing it.

Getting some decent sized stuff now.

8.5 ft to front tonight happy.gif

Hope this is of some help ;)

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Both great replies, keep them coming!

gapping to front.

use the pinch.

when preloading don't push your body down toward the floor, push your body to toward the back of you bike then jump forward.

so preload horizontally not vertically

Ive just been learning up 2 front, as in going to front wheel on an object higher than my current level.

did a small video with slowmo's at the weekend which may help you see how i personnally shift my weight forward. this is on something just about bars height...

http://vimeo.com/27980620

check the link. p.s this is not a fool proof guide but the technique is clear.

also notice the similarities between my launches to back wheel and launches to front wheel. hope it helps :)

Getting the preload right is arguably the most important part of nailing gaps to front

-Set up pointing pretty much straight on

-When you preload lean right back so you're weight is over the rear.

-On the pedal kick pull the bars into your waist and as your body explodes out - you ideally want your front wheel to travel in an arc, imagine your front wheel is trying to clear something in the middle of the gap.

-Extend your arms out again as you're about to plant the front wheel in, keeping your shoulders obove the bars and your weight forward.

-On impact, keep leaning over till your balance point feels right to make the switch

See you at Bracken rocks?

Wow these replies were helpful, I'm trying to learn to do it too.

I can sort of do it while doing a pedal up, like a half-pedal-stroke then kick up to the object but instead of going to the rear I go to the front. I can't really do it up stuff higher than about the headset level.

But what I don't get how you guys do is when you hop to rear, then hop up onto front on an object. When I try to do that my bike just seems to go forward and the rear wheel stays down.

Any tips? :ermm:

Getting the preload right is arguably the most important part of nailing gaps to front

-On the pedal kick pull the bars into your waist and as your body explodes out - you ideally want your front wheel to travel in an arc, imagine your front wheel is trying to clear something in the middle of the gap.

-Extend your arms out again as you're about to plant the front wheel in, keeping your shoulders obove the bars and your weight forward.

-On impact, keep leaning over till your balance point feels right to make the switch

I shall be there mate, will collar you for a bit of coaching!

Its also a good idea to have a hench front brake. One that slips is going to be shit for learning them....just saying.

No worries there as I'm running a magura up front, couldn't setup a disc well to save my life!

probly the most important thing is to aim for the edge with your front wheel, if you are going up and over then down you will lose all the momentum..

you need to hit the edge with the bike at full extension infront of you, then just after landing you need to transfer you weight over the bars and forward, the more momentum you can get from taking the direct line with the front wheel the less effort you need to get the back wheel up..

My link

50secs in

probly the most important thing is to aim for the edge with your front wheel, if you are going up and over then down you will lose all the momentum..

you need to hit the edge with the bike at full extension infront of you, then just after landing you need to transfer you weight over the bars and forward, the more momentum you can get from taking the direct line with the front wheel the less effort you need to get the back wheel up..

My link

50secs in

My link

also some good slow of up to front

I've been practicing gapping to front on the kerb outside my house and I'm starting to pick it up in my head what I need to do with the bike and my body. As for going up things to front wheel I've started on a wall I ride regularly (the ground slopes so the wall varies in height from about 2½ feet to just under 5 feet) by coasting up to it and jumping as if I'm going straight to rear but arcing the front wheel onto the top like Josh described above. I've managed to do it quite a few times so I just need a day where I can spend a few hours approaching it at different angles and speeds and try out different techniques once I'm up like switching to rear or pivoting the back end around.

The advice I've been given has definately helped me get started without a doubt. If I get chance this week I'll try and take my camera out and get a few minutes footage so people can see exactly what I'm doing and how I can improve.

I little bit further than bike length will do for a start. You do have to preload as a normal gap with weight distributed more towards the front. Try gapping to both wheel or even not using a front brake at all for a starter! Hops on the front usually get my confidence in the fronts, like a little warm up anyway. (IMO)

eh?

gapping to front.

use the pinch.

when preloading don't push your body down toward the floor, push your body to toward the back of you bike then jump forward.

so preload horizontally not vertically

(Y)

(Y)

Easier to learn at an angle

Up to fronts have always been a bane for me.

Just as I was getting them good I broke my foot doing it :(

Do not do what I did which is miss the edge with your front wheel :lol: or you will be hobbling about too. (Edit: or visiting the dentist)

Ps: I want your job.

PPs: Dave33 is a beast at up to fronts

Edited by Matt Vandart