Profile Elite Hub

Rusevelt

Looks like it is a really clever idea the way they have done it.

My outlook on the design is the multi teeth on the pawls have increased the engagements, rather than making more 'teeth' on the outer driven ring which would obviously make it weaker.

Hope should pick up on this and make replacement pawls available for their trials hub to convert it to higher engagement.

Alternatively I could be spouting shit.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Disclaimer: Although I tried to, I still feel like I didn't read it right.

It doesn't say how they achieve their 204 engagement points so I wouldn't start assuming its a great design just yet. The Hopes are 2 pairs of offset pawls on a 36 tooth ratchet, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't). This could be 3 pairs on 68 teeth for all we know (unless I've missed it) which would still be almost twice as many teeth and surely less strong?

It doesn't say how they achieve their 204 engagement points so I wouldn't start assuming its a great design just yet. The Hopes are 2 pairs of offset pawls on a 36 tooth ratchet, if I remember correctly (which I probably don't). This could be 3 pairs on 68 teeth for all we know (unless I've missed it) which would still be almost twice as many teeth and surely less strong?

I suppose its how deep the teeth are within the hub.

They could be uber shallow, and be weaker,

But equally they could be quite deep, and could be fairly tough.

As with anything, only the test of time will show if the hub is any good and stands up to some abuse.

Re-read my post.

The pawls have multi teeth on it so that catch in three positions as in they engage over a larger angle of the rotation.

On a normal hub one pawl has only one point of contact, when the pointy bit of the pawl lines up with the driving face of the ring. With three teeth per pawl there are three points where the pointy bit lines up with the driven part of the rings tooth so more engagements.

Crap description but I can see how it works in my head which is no use to you I spose.

Edited by Matt Vandart

Re-read my post.

Yea.. where did I go wrong?

There's still no knowledge in either of us on how they have achieved the engagements. If there's 6 offset pawls then there's 34 teeth in the ratchet, but then you're sacrificing the benefits of having pairs of pawls. If there's 2 offset sets of 3 you've got 102 teeth which is worse than my original point.

Should I go with a really short reply with no facts, or a really long one with loads of conspiracy next?

Yea.. where did I go wrong?

There's still no knowledge in either of us on how they have achieved the engagements. If there's 6 offset pawls then there's 34 teeth in the ratchet, but then you're sacrificing the benefits of having pairs of pawls. If there's 2 offset sets of 3 you've got 102 teeth which is worse than my original point.

Should I go with a really short reply with no facts, or a really long one with loads of conspiracy next?

No but you could go with stopping being an asshole

7774.jpg

Edited by Matt Vandart
  • Like 1

No but you could stop being an asshole

LULZ. Didn't you know? It's my speciality.

Edit after your edit: Without a view of the ratchet that's kind of useless...

To sum up: Announcement is old, hub clearly isn't good for trials, sounds like a few bees stinging each other to death.

Edited by JD™

Lolz

Yes it doesn't sound very well, however aren't profiles shit for trials anyway? Or have I got that wrong?

I think hope would probably do a better job of it also, their trials hub is excellent but really needs a bit of updating in terms of engagements. I love mine and can live with the engagements it has, however the kids are really after the engagements.

But then again, if it aint broke don't fix it may well apply here.

Yes it doesn't sound very well, however aren't profiles shit for trials anyway? Or have I got that wrong?

I had one back in the day and it was great. Thats what most mod riders wanted to run!

I woudn't have one now though with freewheels been so reliable and cheaper and better weight distribution at the front.