Profile Elite Hubs... 204 Ep

Akira_Shock!

This is Profile don't forget, a company that prides itself on the highest quality when it comes to precision machined bicycle components. With that many engaugements, it should be the next best thing to a fixed drive train. The pick up will be most beneficial when you need engaugement when rolling.

Edited by Rusevelt

6 pawls, 204 engagements. I'd like to see the insides of one of those.

Either there will be fewer teeth with less pawls engaging at a time, or pairs of pawls with more teeth in the ratchet making them smaller and possibly a little sketchy for trials (one pawl at a time = 34 tooth ratchet, pairs = 64 tooth) If they've managed to get around that then sweet!

6 pawls, 204 engagements. I'd like to see the insides of one of those.

Either there will be fewer teeth with less pawls engaging at a time, or pairs of pawls with more teeth in the ratchet making them smaller and possibly a little sketchy for trials (one pawl at a time = 34 tooth ratchet, pairs = 64 tooth) If they've managed to get around that then sweet!

Yeah i was thinking if profile have done something simular to what adam@tartybikes did to his Hope Pro2 making it 96ep instead of 48ep. whatever it is you can be sure that Profile know what they are doing as they wouldn't risk the company reputation on a gimmicky product.

This is Profile don't forget, a company that prides itself on the highest quality when it comes to precision machined bicycle components.

>_<

whatever it is you can be sure that Profile know what they are doing as they wouldn't risk the company reputation on a gimmicky product.

Everything is "gimmicky".

Why does a company that is making hubs for bmx racing bikes need to make a hub that has over 200 ep? I mean, 48 is kind of sufficient for trials and trials' demand for ep is top compared to every other bikesport.

Also, wouldn't that many eps increase resistance?

To get out of the gate faster? And accelerate out of corners quicker.

But with the gearing it'll probably push the effective engagement up to 400ep anyway. It'll make no difference difference. Plus riders preload at the gate anyway.

Profile hubs aren't actually all that strong. The quality is not too great all the time either.

I've owned all sorts of Profile components in the past:

-4 separate pairs of 145mm Profile race cranks (for unitrials)

-2 Profile Unicycle splined hubs

-1 pair of Profile 150mm flatland cranks

-1 Profile Mini Racing Cassette hub

-1 Profile 18t nano-drive sprocket

I can say confidently that truthfully... that for a 'MADE IN USA' brand, the quality control is disappointing. I had to send back individual crankarms from most of the pairs I owned because sometimes the offset would be different and wonky to the other crank. Also the pedal boss being welded in at a slight slight angle.. but still enough to be irritating whilst pedalling.

The Profile cassette was a disappointment too. Engagement was nice, but it skipped every once in a while, and developed wobble.. which I had to fix with Japanese bearings and a washer. The hub is just machined wrong. I think they fixed it this year or last year maybe.

This Elite hub, I hope, works.

An SL Echo freewheel is more than enough for today's riders I think