Silent Lgms

Lewis Gething

Hi guys,

Recently gotten hold of a pair of brand new TNN LGMs for the rear of my Onza Mod. I have a medium, semi fresh grind and have spent about one hour tinkering with the clamps trying to achive the perfect setup. The pads dont seem to bite as expected for such an upmarket pad and the hold is poor to say the least. Having used a variety of pads i new that the pads would need an hour or so to bed in and start sounding and performing properly however, I have been using these for a good ten plus hours in dry conditions and they are still silent and have little bite. My rim is very clean too so i am left clueless as to whats going on. Any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.

I had a few pairs of these when I used to run maggies, some were shit some were good.

I did notice that they were usless in dust.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had done some searching here on TF and it seems like what you are saying is the general feeling of felow riders: Very hit or miss. Thanks again dude.

medium grind is the wrong way to go with these pads.

i run them front and back and originally i had a medium grind on back and light on front. the front was the bollocks strait away! but the back was not as expected, when the grind wore down a bit they started to bite and hold lovely. and make lots of noise! lol

this is gd for another reason, you will get more life out of your rim only having to do light grinds! i have found with my limey 3 frame which is a bit flexy that i get good bite and good hold although sometimes i need to apply more than average pressure for them to hold.

also as mentioned you should keep the rim clean, i find they grip like a hobbo to a ten pence piece when there is light rain but i assume this is just the rim being cleaned by the water. The other day i actually used meths to clean the rear rim and to my surprise when i started riding it there was no noise what so ever! until i had riden for an hour and the niose came back. it was off putting though not having the reassuring shreek of these pads lol

An incorrect grind can result in a silent and weak brake. If you have no experience with grinding rims and haven't done it before, perhaps you've done it wrong. If you have had succesful grinds in the past, this is probably not the case but it could be an idea to re-grind the rim. I wouldn't blame the pads just yet.

Thanks to all you guys for the awesome help. Have been trying my Heatsink yellows on the same rim. The HS yellows are exactly the same age as the LGMs and they work and sound great. I have even used an old pair of Onza Lime pads and they work fine. By the way the rim is a rubishy Onza pro white thing. Think i might regrind ma rim. Light grind is better than strong grind for these pads? Thanks again for the tips and help.

Edited by streetrials24

Mine have always been great, I've had about 6 pairs of refills over the years now. I guess they may not work if you don't set up your brake well, don't put on a decent grind or have contaminants somewhere in the set up.

Mine seem to have more hold once the grind wears in a bit. Yeah try a light, sharp grind and see how you go. Get a new grinding disk.

I've been running them since I got my bike,well over 18 months ago. Been really good but you do know when the rim needed reground. They do start to slip a lot and they go very quite.

Set up makes a difference too. Make sure that the pads are sitting bang on. I run TNN clamps and then make a hell of a difference. Even though I've had them wear out about 4-5 grinds and there not even half way worn! :|