Do You Use A Split Link On Your Ss Bike?

old'scoolfool

ive jut went from using a kool chain with split link using vertical dropouts and a tensioner to scrapping the tensioner and moving to horizontal dropouts and within 5 mins the pins bent and the chain exploded, all i was doing was one of them 270 things barely any force at all and it exploded while i was still in the bloody air wtf!

i have chain tugs but no idea how to use them so i left them off, are they the reason it happened or the split link?

i miss having gears lol

Edited by old'scoolfool

I have had a few split link join pieces break on me when i first started riding around 10 years ago. Since then I have only ever used full links horizontal or vertical dropouts, I have only snapped one chain and I think that was down to poor maintenance. You have to remember it may not be the move you are doing that weakens the chain it could have been happening since the second pedal stroke of the ride and that last 270 pushed it over, just be glad you weren't gapping full force :)

I never used split links at all, I don't really see the point since you have to 'cut' the chain to length using a chain tool anyway.. So all you have to do is not be a special case and pop the pin all the way out of the plate and jobs a goodun.

I also don't trust them. That's not based on any facts or whatever, I just stick to the whole 'a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link' thing and omit it altogether.

Meh, I've only ever had an issue with a split link once, so if I've got one to hand (of the plate/clip style ones) I'll use it, else I'll join the chain with the existing pin.

You lose the mushroomed head on a pin when you rejoin it, so it's still a weaker link than it was before. Joining a chain right shouldn't make this an issue, but there are way too many mechanically retarded individuals in the trials world...

In an ideal world, you don't even re-use a pin in a 'proper' link. I have about 7000 brand new pins floating about somewhere, which are double the length of normal ones. You put that through when joining the chain the snap the longer bit off - good as good stuff. For the record, I've never ever had a chain snap on me...