Training/practice/riding

OAP

Running my own business, doing a house up and a missus, don't leave me all that much time for riding. I'm trying to progress my standard of riding (mainly on natural) but i don't get a lot of time. My solution is to ride for about 1 to 1.5 hour a day or every other day since the clocks went back. It's an hour in the local quarry from 7.15am till 8.15am before work. My question is does anyone else have the same problem? What your thoughts?

Exactly the same problem here, although I'm not doing up a house. Ride at the most once a week, and it's nowhere near that regular normally. Right now is even worse because the bike is at my old flat still and I can't even find the time to go get it, let alone ride the b*****d thing!

Welcome to winter!

ride with someone better than you, you'll pick up little tips and techniques just from watching. If that's not possible, then try and ride as much as you can (which you seem to be doing) and try long lines rather than single moves, you'll get fitter and you'll learn how to conserve energy as well as the most efficient techniques.

• Like 2

I'm lucky if I get half an hour in the evening and possibly an hour Saturday morning but that's very rare. I haven't really progressed for ages and it is so frustrating. Also when I do find time I'm guaranteed to fall foul to injury/bike issues/punctures! Oh to be a teenager and have all that time and nowhere else to be!

I rarely get to ride anything decent here.

Theres nothing in the village, and the best spots are a good trek/ train ride away.

My riding improves bit by bit on the weekend when I get the chance to go somewhere or Im in hull seeing my dad.

Theres a decent wall out of the estate im in, which might explain why sidehops come easier giggle.gif

I agree with riding with people better than you, if I'm in a group where I'm the best rider which barely happens because I'm shit I tend to ride poorly e.g. Simple little sides to rear, up to front wheel swaps etc I'd normally piss I just can't get. When I'm riding with better people (JackMeek, Rossy G etc) I tend to push myself a lot harder and destroy things I'd normally get nowhere close to.

I'm lucky if I get half an hour in the evening and possibly an hour Saturday morning but that's very rare. I haven't really progressed for ages and it is so frustrating. Also when I do find time I'm guaranteed to fall foul to injury/bike issues/punctures! Oh to be a teenager and have all that time and nowhere else to be!

im a teenager but im in yr 10 so im doing GCSEs and i really want a trials bike for £250 max maybe £300 at a push but im not sure if i would ever be any good at it "/ and i dont have much time really, only every other friday, saturday and sunday and some tuesdays, but with fridays and tuesdays its dark by the time i get home, and weekends im doing homework, which i always have -____- :(

When your in your final year doing exams you'll have loads of time to ride, and soon winter will be over and you'll be able to get out a lot more in the evenings trust me. Think when I was at school on exam leave I spent 3 months straight riding trials everyday 10-8ish when I wasn't sitting an exam, didn't do me any good as I'm still gash but it was great to be able to spend so much time on my bike.

I have the same problem, doing up a house, running a business, i have four kids, a wife, three dogs and have suffered from an illness for seven years! Getting time to ride is difficult but i try to get out as often as i can, having three dogs is a good excuse to get out! Progress is always very slow but equally it's the enjoyment of being on the bike and trying to learn new things.

• Like 1

Well I didn't expect that many replys... looks like lack of time is an issue for a lot of us. I suppose this will become even more common as the trial population ages and riders in their teens/20's, get to older!! Hopefully they will still be riding.

Thanks to Ali for the good tips... duly noted. I'm going to try and meet up with some riders when I move to Yorkshire. But grabbing an hour when I can isn't always convenient for arranging to meet other riders. Good tip regarding riding longer lines. I was managing a trip to Blackstones after work in the summer and with the help of gaffer tape markers, i made sections for the evening. Gaffer tape was removed when i left for home. Always found that enjoyable. If i did get a bit carried away with the expectation of my ability :-

Like most have said, having fun is the priority. I tend to take stuff a bit to seriously, I can get a bit obsessed with stuff until i achieve... but that's my nature and it has it's advantages and it's what i find most enjoyable :)

Anyhow enough of my ramblings.... back to work :(

Cheers all.