Wondering If This Has Been Done Before?

Laurence--Trials

Got some spare time this evening so was wondering if anyone has ever made normal stationary rubbers into magura/vee brake pads? How easy was it and did they work etc?

Ive never done it but id imagine it would :

A) be far too soft, and wear away ridiculously fast. ( try the bite test compared to some " soft trials pads" like onza citrus or TNN LGMS

B ) Leave rubber shavings behing you like some kind of Hansel and Gretel re-enactment.

C) have a VERY low shear strength, and if the pad did grip on the rim would literally rip a good portion of it out of the backings.

D) Be disgustingly spongy at the lever if the pads were of any considerable thickness.

Edit: After a quick google it appears people use erasers to clean their smooth rims and remove debris:

Mavic Rim Eraser

Edited by Alex Dark

I could only imagine the pad pulling out of the backing on a smooth rim and desolving in half an hour of riding on a grind.

I haven't heard of it been done before.

Would be used on a smooth rim...

Ive never done it but id imagine it would :

A) be far too soft, and wear away ridiculously fast. ( try the bite test compared to some " soft trials pads" like onza citrus or TNN LGMS

B ) Leave rubber shavings behing you like some kind of Hansel and Gretel re-enactment.

C) have a VERY low shear strength, and if the pad did grip on the rim would literally rip a good portion of it out of the backings.

D) Be disgustingly spongy at the lever if the pads were of any considerable thickness.

Yeah i did think of these things... Just wanted it as one of those little home projects kinda thing, not perminant(spelling??) pads.

Pads would be used in Heatsink CNC backings. I know that wouldn't stop the flex but would probally be easier to cut the shape of the pad.

Please take photos, especially of the messy aftermath.

Give it a go if you are truly bored.

All I can guess is they will last about ten seconds, even on a smooth rim.

Try and use some of those terrible rubbers that just smudge the pencil all over the page rather than a nice Staedtler one.