How To Determine Whether You Should Use A Booster

J Trials 31

If your brake is slipping when on an edge of the wall its likely your frame is flexing and the power you are putting through the brakes is actually pushing the frame out rather than pushing the pads against the rim.

I prefer a 2 bolt booster rather than a 4 as it doesnt make the bike too stiff, retaining a nice honk from the brake pads. 4 are trickier to set up too.

You might not even need one as some frames have them built in.

Just look to see if the frame is flexing. Yeah, better hold usually at the expense of a little bite.

I noticed with my new frame that the brake felt really positive at first, but a few months of riding has softened up the rear triangle to the point that I now want a booster.

It's all about 2 bolt boosters.

They're easier to set up.

I modified my tensile booster, tarty say it's the stiffest 4 bolt booster you can get.

For the sake of ease I used to just run the top two bolts. I cut the bottom off later cause it makes it easier.

Anyway, yeah, unless your frame is ridiculously flexy - my ciguena for example used to flex out at pretty much the same rate as you'd pull the lever - get a 2 bolt booster.

Yeah my Zm2 is pretty flexy, I figured I needed one. Hoping to hold out for a TNN one but their pretty pricey, hard to find, and no one seems to want to let there's go haha

i can get them for £50 but with postage on top it wouldn't be worth it, give webcyclery a ring or send them an email they'll probably order you one in

Edited by old'scoolfool

To all,

think you would notice a difference if you used a 4 bolt booster and only ran the two bottom bolts (like a V booster) as apposed to running a two bolt booster and having the two top bolts in the frame? :geek:

I've done this! It works as running top two was to stiff and without was to flexy, used in bottom two bolts was brilliant!!_

If your brake is slipping when on an edge of the wall its likely your frame is flexing and the power you are putting through the brakes is actually pushing the frame out rather than pushing the pads against the rim.

I prefer a 2 bolt booster rather than a 4 as it doesnt make the bike too stiff, retaining a nice honk from the brake pads. 4 are trickier to set up too.

You might not even need one as some frames have them built in.

i`ve got a trialtech 4 bolt carbon fibre booster on my zoo, its well stiff and i`m running rockman greens on a smooth rim and it is very loud