Protein Shakes

Gaz96

Both feet, similar amount of pain. I sometimes get it if I walk fast for a long time too. I think it's purely technique, or maybe it's because running on a treadmill is the most awkward thing ever :P I just can't do it at all.

It could also simply be that you are just using muscles you're not used to using, merely fatigue. Just be aware of it and whether it's an ache or a pain - if you're honest with yourself when it happens it's probably 'just' and ache that you can work through. It happens to everyone at their limit, the muscles that start aching that I never knew I had were overly numerous during a marathon!

I'm hoping that's what it is, and that it'll just go away. But it was just a weird pain. It went within I few minutes after stopping and stretching. But at the time it stopped me from carrying on running.

I'd say give the gait analysis a go, there's nothing to lose that way! Just go in a shop looking damn serious about buying a set of trainers, get your free analysis and then say that you're almost certain on a specific pair, but you just want to try out shop Y nearby before you come back and buy. Or just pay for the analysis, it only takes like 5 minutes.

• 4 weeks later...

Need some advice really, started going to a gym now as I'd like to get bigger as I'm redic skinny, so basically I need to bulk up as I'm aware got little fat to turn into muscle effectively. Just wondering what's best value, dont need like to worry about anything special like diet proteins I've seen people mention I'm not cutting or aiming to reduce fat I've got none!

Need some advice really, started going to a gym now as I'd like to get bigger as I'm redic skinny, so basically I need to bulk up as I'm aware got little fat to turn into muscle effectively. Just wondering what's best value, dont need like to worry about anything special like diet proteins I've seen people mention I'm not cutting or aiming to reduce fat I've got none!

WEIGHT GAIN!!!

no offense mate, but if your not working out to point where you ache for a day or two after... protein shakes are a waste of time and money.

none of you seem to have any real experience weight training, you think you can just smash back some off the shelf food supplements and get bigger and stronger! not that simple!

ill pm you tomo

Edited by totally steaming!!

no offense mate, but if your not working out to point where you ache for a day or two after... protein shakes are a waste of time and money.

none of you seem to have any real experience weight training, you think you can just smash back some off the shelf food supplements and get bigger and stronger! not that simple!

ill pm you tomo

and your so hench?

This bit is true IMO, personally I don't use shakes, can't stand them. I have my diet sorted so that I can hit 150g of protein a day just from my food.

ill pm you tomo

No-one said that? Plus a lot of us do have real experience. Last time I trained properly I went from 158lbs to 192lbs in a year. I don't weight train really any more though, I just climb a lot and do climbing specific stuff mainly aimed at finger stregnth rather than muscle mass. Kev also really knows his stuff (being about 230lbs atm), he just chooses to be fat instead.

Again this is a forum, post your advice up for everyone to see so we can get a discussion going. :P

none of you seem to have any real experience weight training, you think you can just smash back some off the shelf food supplements and get bigger and stronger! not that simple.

Credentials in your next post please. And yes it is that simple, that isn't the best way to do it, but it can be done that simply.

Experience does not mean knowledge.

Just saw your post in the creatine thread. Lolololol. Irony central. Your experience doesn't mean shit, just so you're aware. The fact you're asking people to PM you is retarded, are you worried someone will call you out when you chat some more shit? I'm looking forward to more of your posts. Especially some pics of how massive and perfectly formed you are.

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

Credentials in your next post please. And yes it is that simple, that isn't the best way to do it, but it can be done that simply.

Just saw your post in the creatine thread. Lolololol. Irony central. Your experience doesn't mean shit, just so you're aware. The fact you're asking people to PM you is retarded, are you worried someone will call you out when you chat some more shit? I'm looking forward to more of your posts. Especially some pics of how massive and perfectly formed you are.

pretty much this...

I cant believe your telling someone that protein isnt the way forward but creatine is, £ for lb, protein(in food or supplement form) is the best supplement an average joe can take(part from steroids of course, but meh).

Granted you can get enough protein from food, but crucially people dont have the time or the money to do that. for example im curretly circa 250lbs, circa 18-19% body fat, no matter what macro/formula you use, that ends up being 150-250g of protein per day, lets say for arguments sake 200g, if I want 150g of easily edible/preparable protein(bare in mind you can only absorb 30g per sitting) and i dont have access to a fridge whilst on the move at work, so that leaves 50g in my evening meal. 150g of real food protein which i can eat in 5 minutes, runs me about £9 at tescos(either buying ready cooked chicken or no drain tuna). alternatively it can cost me £1.30 in protein powder.

Now i only use protein for a breakfast replacement, and occasionally when im running super busy(mainly because i can afford to buy cooked chicken etc.

to say youve worked with top nutritionists and body builders for years, your 22?!?!?!

not calling bullsh*t just yet, but to tell everyone on here there idiots and start preaching your pm only advice. seems a lil bit suckerish.

oh wow look at all the information you've provided, how helpful...

the reason i said to pm is so that i can give personalised advice as everyones needs are different.

experience is big factor, there is a huge difference between reciting stuff you've heard or read to giving advice on stuff that you yourself have actually tried and tested and seen the physical results of.

to be honest i don't have to listen to your crap, its easy to criticise other peoples advice without even offering any of your own....

you sound like a typical back seat driver to me.

and your so hench?

im exactly the size i wish to be... boxing and surfing are my two main sports so excess mass is completely unwanted. im 6' and weigh 97kg i dont carry excess fat.

my house mate on the other hand is bodybuilding. 17 stone of lean muscle without the use of juice.

most of the stuff i know i've learned from the doormen of the clubs i work in as i train with them too. some compete in bodybuilding, some do mma and other martial arts.

either way, they've been in the weight training game for a long long time, so i accept most of their advice as sound as it sure as hell works!

not only that but i spent 2 years working in a pretty hardcore gym.

Check out this thread on Injury Advice to see how someone with expertise conducts themselves and gives their advice in the topic, without often needing to resort to being PM-only and/or a dick.

You may well have all the knowledge, but if you keep acting like a douche then it's hardly going to be respected is it? Plenty of 22 year olds think they know what's what. Some of them do. The ones people listen to prove it instead of saying they don't have to ;) So why not prove it? Show off your knowledge by helping someone out in the topic instead of coming in here and saying we all chat bullshit.

oh wow look at all the information you've provided, how helpful...

the reason i said to pm is so that i can give personalised advice as everyones needs are different.

experience is big factor, there is a huge difference between reciting stuff you've heard or read to giving advice on stuff that you yourself have actually tried and tested and seen the physical results of.

to be honest i don't have to listen to your crap, its easy to criticise other peoples advice without even offering any of your own....

you sound like a typical back seat driver to me.

Yo son, check out all my other posts, I actually understand the chemistry and biology behind this shit. Read further down for why that bit's in bold.

im exactly the size i wish to be... boxing and surfing are my two main sports so excess mass is completely unwanted. im 6' and weigh 97kg i dont carry excess fat.

my house mate on the other hand is bodybuilding. 17 stone of lean muscle without the use of juice.

most of the stuff i know i've learned from the doormen of the clubs i work in as i train with them too. some compete in bodybuilding, some do mma and other martial arts.

either way, they've been in the weight training game for a long long time, so i accept most of their advice as sound as it sure as hell works!

not only that but i spent 2 years working in a pretty hardcore gym.

So when were you a bodybuilder or bigger than 13 stone? Or are you just reciting shit other people tell you?

Check out this thread on Injury Advice to see how someone with expertise conducts themselves and gives their advice in the topic, without often needing to resort to being PM-only and/or a dick.

You may well have all the knowledge, but if you keep acting like a douche then it's hardly going to be respected is it? Plenty of 22 year olds think they know what's what. Some of them do. The ones people listen to prove it instead of saying they don't have to ;) So why not prove it? Show off your knowledge by helping someone out in the topic instead of coming in here and saying we all chat bullshit.

yea i went off on one a little! reading back over my text makes me cringe a little! haha

Yo son, check out all my other posts, I actually understand the chemistry and biology behind this shit. Read further down for why that bit's in bold.

So when were you a bodybuilder or bigger than 13 stone? Or are you just reciting shit other people tell you?

im 15stone now... iv fluctuated between 75k and and 95ish since i was 17. what are you trying to say?

ive been there watching and learning, ive seen how people have trained to achieve their different goals... the whole process from start to finish.

even if your not training you can learn a lot from just hanging around a good gym and taking notice of what people are doing.

everyone is slating my advice but not offering any of their own.... just choose not to listen.

im 15stone now... iv fluctuated between 75k and and 95ish since i was 17. what are you trying to say?

ive been there watching and learning, ive seen how people have trained to achieve their different goals... the whole process from start to finish.

even if your not training you can learn a lot from just hanging around a good gym and taking notice of what people are doing.

everyone is slating my advice but not offering any of their own.... just choose not to listen.

My problem isn't your advice, it's your manner. You said that there's a difference between doing something, and reading something, but now you seem to be saying it doesn't matter? That's why I wondered how big you currently are, you were saying that if you haven't done it you don't know, but it seems you haven't done it. But now you've changed your mind. So it's sort of moot. I know you can learn a lot hanging around with people, I know a lot about trials purely from being on here. But you can learn a whole shit load more from a book, so don't just say 90% of the info in this thread is "total bull" when you've made what 2 or 3 posts, none containing advice, and a completely misinformed one in the creatine thread.

Like I said, give advice freely, we all do it in different threads on here, but don't claim to know more than everyone else, and if someone calls you out on something, you have to deal with it. People will slate your advice, when you wade in with "Don't listen to all these other people, who for all I know could be way more knowledgeable on the situation, listen to me." That's gonna rub people up the wrong way.

My problem isn't your advice, it's your manner. You said that there's a difference between doing something, and reading something, but now you seem to be saying it doesn't matter? That's why I wondered how big you currently are, you were saying that if you haven't done it you don't know, but it seems you haven't done it. But now you've changed your mind. So it's sort of moot. I know you can learn a lot hanging around with people, I know a lot about trials purely from being on here. But you can learn a whole shit load more from a book, so don't just say 90% of the info in this thread is "total bull" when you've made what 2 or 3 posts, none containing advice, and a completely misinformed one in the creatine thread.

Like I said, give advice freely, we all do it in different threads on here, but don't claim to know more than everyone else, and if someone calls you out on something, you have to deal with it. People will slate your advice, when you wade in with "Don't listen to all these other people, who for all I know could be way more knowledgeable on the situation, listen to me." That's gonna rub people up the wrong way.

15 stone at 6' isn't exactly 'haven't done it'.... you never told me how big you are? (i hate to have to ask such a gay question, but you asked me)

have you ever been to a gym?

have you ever weight trained?

i don't mind being shot down, not everything i say will be right. but i would at least like to be by someone who has a real interest in the physical side of the subject. not just the chem.

anyhow, you still have offered no advice.

how do i build lean muscle? seriously, id like to hear your advice... your bound to know stuff i don't. maybe vise versa. thats the whole point of a forum isn't it?

Right, enough of this over 3 threads, let's put it to bed shall we? Good:

When will you get it into your thick, meathead, probably fat and lazy skull that no-one has said your body building/weight training advice is anything but amazing?

Do you know why no-one has insulted your advice? Hint: It's because you haven't f**king given any.

Carl (Monkey) called you out on the Chem, and the way you're going about your childish bickering. That's all. He didn't say your advice was shit (see above for why). He also hasn't said his would be any better, which is probably why he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't say he knows more than everyone else about the topic. Maybe he's just in here to learn something off of self proclaimed gurus like yourself?

I say again: You're the one who's come in here saying your advice is worth listening to - So how's about f**king giving some rather than slagging everyone else's which they haven't given off?

You've been asked by people for advice, so show how f**king great you are. I don't because even though I have 7 years of personal training experience, 5 years of being an ABA boxing coach, I don't want to say that my way is the only way. Heaven forbid, if you actually said anything of substance we might be able to actually help each other give people good advice.

Let that be the end of it eh?

how do i build lean muscle? seriously, id like to hear your advice... your bound to know stuff i don't. maybe vise versa. thats the whole point of a forum isn't it?

protein, heavy weights, compound exercises, and only staring at the fit birds in spandex for motivation, and not to waste the rest of your workout perving.

JD I'd wondered how long you'd last out the aggressive non-constructive ranting/argument.

I've learnt loads listening to and discussing strength training with my mate who has 11 years of county level rugby, 8years of heavy weight training, 3 running a gym where an ex-european level weightlifter (deadlift I seem to recall) trained. BUT half of it is redundant, my body reacts entirely different, being a entirely different build, metabolism, sport interest, training regime and lastly gym access.

Anywho, working on cv stuff lots atm, loading core workouts between runs. atm I'm doing the rockclimbers, loads of lateral leg lifts, and holds I got from physio for my groin strain a while back, crunches. any key things missing? Or any resources recommended? Also would like to get working on legs but without gym access what would people recommend?

Right, enough of this over 3 threads, let's put it to bed shall we? Good:

When will you get it into your thick, meathead, probably fat and lazy skull that no-one has said your body building/weight training advice is anything but amazing?

Do you know why no-one has insulted your advice? Hint: It's because you haven't f**king given any.

Carl (Monkey) called you out on the Chem, and the way you're going about your childish bickering. That's all. He didn't say your advice was shit (see above for why). He also hasn't said his would be any better, which is probably why he keeps his mouth shut and doesn't say he knows more than everyone else about the topic. Maybe he's just in here to learn something off of self proclaimed gurus like yourself?

I say again: You're the one who's come in here saying your advice is worth listening to - So how's about f**king giving some rather than slagging everyone else's which they haven't given off?

You've been asked by people for advice, so show how f**king great you are. I don't because even though I have 7 years of personal training experience, 5 years of being an ABA boxing coach, I don't want to say that my way is the only way. Heaven forbid, if you actually said anything of substance we might be able to actually help each other give people good advice.

Let that be the end of it eh?

thats how its done!

JD I'd wondered how long you'd last out the aggressive non-constructive ranting/argument.

I've been trying not to do that lately, it's just the ROIDS talking. Except it would be if I was taking roids.

Anywho, working on cv stuff lots atm, loading core workouts between runs. atm I'm doing the rockclimbers, loads of lateral leg lifts, and holds I got from physio for my groin strain a while back, crunches. any key things missing? Or any resources recommended? Also would like to get working on legs but without gym access what would people recommend?

Just the one suggestion from me for some lovely core and whole leg stability coupled with something that will help your groin strain if you listen to your body: One legged squats with the other leg out behind you on a box, semi lunge style. You can increase the weight of the box for more stability, or hold some dumbells for more on the leg side. It's deceptively good (Y)

Cheers, completely the wrong thread I've just realised. The explosion was a very well articulated point we all had on our mind.

Also, weight of the box? I guess you just mean something more stable to put the leg on?

Totally meant height of the box, my head had obviously moved onto the weighted version!