Crank Hits Slave

dannytrialskid

I had the same problem, I used a spacer, you can put one on your freewheel or on your axle to push your crank out a bit (might affect other things though). If only one crank is hitting, it might mean something in the drivetrain is wonky.

True the wheel across (Y)

For example: if the crank is hitting the slave cylinder on the 'drive side', but the crank is not hitting the slave cylinder on the 'non drive side' then true the wheel over to the 'non drive side' - this will enable you to push the slave cylinder further in (and clear your crank arm).

Edit: Alternatively you could try a spacer between the hub and frame (on which ever side is necessary), the 'seat stays' will now be further away from the rim so you will have to set your slave cylinders further in. I can this method being less effective though..

Edited by cai

Edit: Alternatively you could try a spacer between the hub and frame (on which ever side is necessary), the 'seat stays' will now be further away from the rim so you will have to set your slave cylinders further in. I can this method being less effective though..

Actual position of the slave cylinder would be the same with this method.

Echo slaves have more 'ankle clearance' so shouldnt hit the crank.

With new Coust pads and the slaves right out my brake is at about the right place but the cranks catch...i ended up filing my cranks down a bit to round off the ends. Check out the picture below of the try-alls for an idea of what to do if you follow this route.

5459699050_03f2228ef5_z.jpg

Echo slaves have more 'ankle clearance' so shouldnt hit the crank.

With new Coust pads and the slaves right out my brake is at about the right place but the cranks catch...i ended up filing my cranks down a bit to round off the ends. Check out the picture below of the try-alls for an idea of what to do if you follow this route.

5459699050_03f2228ef5_z.jpg

You did a hella nice job there :blink:

Actual position of the slave cylinder would be the same with this method.

thumbdown.gif Trust me it works, I've used this method before.

For example: if you place a 5mm spacer between the hub and frame on the drive-side, both drive-side and non-drive-side chain stays & seat stays flex outwards by 2.5mm (your comment is based on you thinking the non-drive-side would stay put, and that only the drive-side would flex out by 5mm - this is wrong).

Anyway as I said truing the wheel is a much better method of sorting out the problem.