Starting Running/jogging.

dann2707

my personal preference is

under armour shorts(vented so your balls dont overheat) new balance short shorts and any cotton Tshirt

i use adidas kanadia tr3 goretex for a mix of on and off road.

also invest in running socks, i have 5 pairs and love running in them(i even wear them under issued socks for doing phys in boots)

PS treadmills are shit. gyms cost money and smell. get outdoors its so much better for you and enjoyable

i never thought i would enjoy running, i always used to be the lazy bloke at the rear chugging along getting shouted at, now im the one doing the shouting its awesome.

no im afraid the whole self tanning, white vests and hair gel look whilst shouting 'pays to be a winner' and 'EXERCISE begin' doesn't appeal to me.

its worth it just not for no MATTS and no guard duties

on the subject of running, i pressume your doing enough stretches after the runs ? if you not google for some basic streches to perform and youll notice a shit load of difference the next day

if i do some phys and neglet stretching off i suffer the next day

Just a quick question, how long did it take you guys (Those amongst you that can run for long distances without trying) to get to the point of being able to run for about 5km or so. Also, I'm not sure whether I'm pushing through pain, or pushing through to my second wind, anyway to tell the difference between the two? Sorry if these are retarded questions, but I know this forum generally can cover all fields with great expertise :P

Just a quick question, how long did it take you guys (Those amongst you that can run for long distances without trying) to get to the point of being able to run for about 5km or so. Also, I'm not sure whether I'm pushing through pain, or pushing through to my second wind, anyway to tell the difference between the two? Sorry if these are retarded questions, but I know this forum generally can cover all fields with great expertise :P

I don't mean to sound too mean here, but I got Leanne to running 3miles/5km within about 3 tries around 2 weeks apart each time... She came from zero fitness, and it certainly wasn't quick but it had a big ass hill in there. You should be able to hit 3 miles in no time really, just go slow if it's the distance you're wanting.

I've never ran more than 1km in my life, I'm aware I'm dire lol. What do we mean by slow? I can't really go much slower than 10kph without it feeling incredibly awkward and even then I don't feel comfortable at that speed. I have no problem with harsh constructive criticism as long as it helps :P

Edit, was that 2 weeks apart thing a suggestion? Should I split them that far? Because I did 4k in about 30 mins on Wednesday and I did about 3k's worth of running today then another 2k on a rower and 5k on a bike, don't want to overdo it if it's slowing my progress.

Edited by MonsieurMonkey

Nah the 2 weeks apart was because she wasn't really running for a reason, just sporadically asked me to jog out with her. By slow I mean about 9:30minute miles, so aiming for about half hour ish, but ultimately just gauge it on whether you can hold a comfortable conversation or not.

Okay, cool, I'm a terrible distance runner it seems. I try to do intervalish training, jogging until I'm at the point of wanting to stop, then sprinting flat out until I need to stop, walking until I am recovered then repeating. I reckon I'm close to a 9.30min mile, I'll time myself next time I go running, are there any good running apps for that sort of thing?

Okay, cool, I'm a terrible distance runner it seems. I try to do intervalish training, jogging until I'm at the point of wanting to stop, then sprinting flat out until I need to stop, walking until I am recovered then repeating. I reckon I'm close to a 9.30min mile, I'll time myself next time I go running, are there any good running apps for that sort of thing?

Runkeeper on the iPhone is what I use, but there's loads out there. I liked Runkeeper because I could just hit start, stick it in a pocket and it'd keep all the stats to look back on. If it's distance you're after, don't worry about the pace - that can come later.

I'll just take a look at a free one that tracks what I'm doing. I'm afraid I've got the pace already, but I just can't do the distance, in school I was a sprinter but I never did long distance, my dad was the same, he could never run more than 2k but he ran everything up to 400m for his school. I just want to be able to keep fit by running, I really enjoy it, just so dog shit at it lol.

Cheers for the advice JD, I'll just keep pushing through and stop being a pussy :P

I'll just take a look at a free one that tracks what I'm doing. I'm afraid I've got the pace already, but I just can't do the distance, in school I was a sprinter but I never did long distance, my dad was the same, he could never run more than 2k but he ran everything up to 400m for his school. I just want to be able to keep fit by running, I really enjoy it, just so dog shit at it lol.

Cheers for the advice JD, I'll just keep pushing through and stop being a pussy :P

If you're not built for it, or you've always concentrated on short distances, then it'll always be tougher than someone who's the opposite. Don't try and add too much too soon - the accepted guideline is adding 10-20% every 2 weeks, with a variety of types of runs during that time: short & quick, long & slow, recovery, fartlek, sprints etc. Keep it different and you'll keep it interesting - you're meant to enjoy it after all!

I keep meaning to stay out of these running topics because I get pissed off with people with f**k all experience telling me I'm wrong, which will probably happen in this topic too. SO, disclaimer: My advice isn't the only way, it's just the way that worked for me and got me through 3 marathons with f**k knows how many miles done in training.

With a variety of types of runs during that time: short & quick, long & slow, recovery, fartlek, sprints etc. Keep it different and you'll keep it interesting - you're meant to enjoy it after all!

I get what you mean by short and quick and long and slow, but what do you mean by recovery and fartlek? I guess sprints is just a quick short blast or intervalesque?

Sorry for going on with the questions lol. I just want to be able to get better, and I don't mind the effort or it taking a little longer than most because of my sprinting roots.

I get what you mean by short and quick and long and slow, but what do you mean by recovery and fartlek? I guess sprints is just a quick short blast or intervalesque?

Sorry for going on with the questions lol. I just want to be able to get better, and I don't mind the effort or it taking a little longer than most because of my sprinting roots.

My long slow run one week at peak training would be around 20 miles on a Sunday, then a recovery run would happen Monday of about 5 miles possibly even slower than Sunday, then maybe a rest on a Tuesday, Fartlek on Wednesday which is alternating between short bursts of speed in a slow run - say run 10 lampposts at a proper jog, then sprint for 4, changing the numbers all the time. Thursday would be another recovery run, sprints on Friday, rest Saturday and back into a LSR on Sunday.

Basically, recovery runs are a way of stretching out while also getting some more miles in your feet - the mileage will obviously vary depending on where you are with your training.

No worries on all the questions, I just don't want to bore people with my answers!

I have a vaguely related question. Are there any tips for going easy on your knees?

Sounds odd, but both my mate and myself have suffered knee issues from casual long(ish) distance running. I haven't been running for ages because I don't want to damage my knees any more!

I have a vaguely related question. Are there any tips for going easy on your knees?

Sounds odd, but both my mate and myself have suffered knee issues from casual long(ish) distance running. I haven't been running for ages because I don't want to damage my knees any more!

Same old advice: Start slow, build slow. Allow your body to strengthen. I don't know whether it was this topic, but I mentioned the fact that your feet will strike the ground over a thousand times every mile - that's a lot of trauma on the body.

To ease that trauma, look up mid and forefoot running - tougher to begin with, but much better for you in the long run. Pun intended.

That's great mate, cheers, that's given me a bit of structure to work with. So let's say I did a 5mile run one day, just slow and steady, then the next day do a mile or so, day off, then 2-3 miles of the fartlek running, mile or so next day, sprints, rest, repeat? Or should I increase my distances? I can sprint, stop for a minute, sprint, stop for a minute, over and over, my girlfriend runs and runs without getting tired, but her top speed is like the slowest I can possibly go. It's like she's the complete opposite running style. Cheers again for the help, I hate googling stuff like this because the advice can always be a bit sketchy or not necessarily that tailored.

That's great mate, cheers, that's given me a bit of structure to work with. So let's say I did a 5mile run one day, just slow and steady, then the next day do a mile or so, day off, then 2-3 miles of the fartlek running, mile or so next day, sprints, rest, repeat? Or should I increase my distances? I can sprint, stop for a minute, sprint, stop for a minute, over and over, my girlfriend runs and runs without getting tired, but her top speed is like the slowest I can possibly go. It's like she's the complete opposite running style. Cheers again for the help, I hate googling stuff like this because the advice can always be a bit sketchy or not necessarily that tailored.

Yea that sounds good, just increase by 10% after a couple of weeks so your long run is 5.5 miles, and so on. Soon those 10-20% increases become quite large :) Good luck! Add me on Facebook if you want to bounce some questions over every now and again: facebook.com/jasondilworth56

That forefoot running technique is very interesting, I'll have a go at it soon. Cheers.

I think I'll concentrate on fartlek when I get back into running. I got too obsessed with improving my times last year which could be what led to the issues.

That forefoot running technique is very interesting, I'll have a go at it soon. Cheers.

I think I'll concentrate on fartlek when I get back into running. I got too obsessed with improving my times last year which could be what led to the issues.

To improve times, you have to do all of the things I mentioned above, but that's specifically for increasing endurance and speed in conjunction with each other :)

I forgot one massive thing I used to tell the people I trained - the biggest thing you have to do is listen to your body. Everything you do from day to day makes a difference in your performance from run to run. From sleeping, to eating, to how well your day goes, to what mood your in: they all have an effect on your performance, and it's important to know that getting the most out of each individual run (regardless of whether it's better or worse than the last run of its type) is the biggest factor in successful training. Take the positives out of a 'bad' run and you'll never have a bad run.

• 4 weeks later...

Totally individual, just run at a pace that enables you to still maintain a comfortable conversation for as long as you can, then you can map it out after to see where you're at mileage wise and go from there :)