Getting Most Height -Sidehops ?

the mysterious leemur

Hi . Well I've very recently gotten back on a mod and put a hope on ( much better than Echo TRs) and I'm also relearning sidehops in particular going up to the right . This is my technique and I'm looking for some tips on getting the most height or if there is anything I should change . The height in the video is around 29-30 inches and my current highest is 34.5 which I got today so a bit of an improvement :)

Hi . Well I've very recently gotten back on a mod and put a hope on ( much better than Echo TRs) and I'm also relearning sidehops in particular going up to the right . This is my technique and I'm looking for some tips on getting the most height or if there is anything I should change . The height in the video is around 29-30 inches and my current highest is 34.5 which I got today so a bit of an improvement :)

Jump more,tuck more.

• Like 1

Dont focus on inches!

The way ive progressed with sidehops is just trying them over and over.

Ones that looked huge last year im now getting everytime mostly, its all about how you percieve the wall. Sidehops are such a strange concept hHa.

Edited by dann2707

, sidehops are about being able to jump out of your preload as quick as you can.

Really get the most of the available bounce from your tyre and then use your upwards momentum gained from your quick release out of the preload.

I find the tuck the trickiest part.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Dont focus on inches!

The way ive progressed with sidehops is just trying them over and over.

Ones that looked huge last year im now getting everytime mostly, its all about how you percieve the wall. Sidehops are such a strange concept hHa.

Yeah it's pretty much completely in your head , just not thinking you can do it . I think the reason I'm progressing quickly right now is the fact that ever since getting back on a 20" (two days ago) I have just continuously for about 3-5 hours a day sidehopping over and over and slowly upping the height .

My biggest front to back was only achieved because my friend seriously threatened to kick me in the balls if I failed it again :giggle:

Thats another main point!

Being pushed into it is such a progression booster! When i got back into trials 2 years ago I used to ride with someone constantly and he always always pushed me over my comfort boundaries. Every ride hed push me into doing something I hated the thought of, and i went from doing kick hops to big gaps in a year !

But im not sure thatd really help.with sidehops as if you try too big it just puts you off ?

Thats another main point!

Being pushed into it is such a progression booster! When i got back into trials 2 years ago I used to ride with someone constantly and he always always pushed me over my comfort boundaries. Every ride hed push me into doing something I hated the thought of, and i went from doing kick hops to big gaps in a year !

But im not sure thatd really help.with sidehops as if you try too big it just puts you off ?

Just mainly I tend to stop just before jumping or get into the air and put a foot out . A habbit I picked up when I sidehopped the wrong way and was worried of hitting the disks . I ride with the same guy so he tried saying that and I landed it , I think it's also a bit of competitiveness and wanting to be better than him or the same skill level as him . I'm catching up and making up for the two years extra riding he has on me B)

Ive found you will eventually just try after so long.

My mind set now is the worst that will happen is my rear tyre wont make it, and I land on my chainstay.

Just keep doing what your doing, your going the right way about it with the right mindset.

Dont focus on inches!

, I think it's also a bit of competitiveness

Me and Dan through and through

shifty.gif

• Like 2

Well worst I have done is gotten on , leaned to far to keep up and fallen headfirst onto a brick :$ when I land it it's really smooth but when I fail , I fail spectacularly ...

Example no 2. Tried to front to back from a triangle block onto 6 pallets , got the balance wrong . Flew forward and head butted the pallets and pretty much punched them and broke a couple fingers (N)

• 1 month later...