Is There Anything Better Than Lgm's?

Carlperkins

ok so i tried searching the forum but i cant really find what im looking for. so sorry to be the bellend to start another pad thread.

im running TNN LGM's on the rear. (CNC backed)

and a nice medium/harsh grind.

my brake is great at the moment. however...

is there anything better than the LGM's?

i see theres coustsinks, belaey and be-green.. anyone used LGM's then moved to any of these?

im a beleiver if it it aint broke dont fix it, so i wont be upgrading till my pads are completely gone but just wondering if there is actually anything better?

I'm a bit of a hyprocrit really as I sung so much praise for my Little Green Men pads but I found after abit they started to slip when on the edge of wall, but the honk was still there but they just didn't hold after a bit.

Now running Cousts from Jack and they seem great. They haven't once slipped back on me, if I HAVE slipped back its because I know I haven't fully made the hop to rear wheel so I've let go of my brake slightly.

But I stuck them on a dead grind straight away and they were brilliant, really honky. Put them on a fresh grind last week and I couldn't ask any more from them really! I'd give them ago just to compare haha.

Edited by dann2707

Im running LGMs on the front at the moment, and the only two pads ive ever had that worked better than them were RockCNC Blues, and original Cousts, as already mentioned. The LGMs also worked a lot better on a vee brake(LGVs)for me too if that makes a difference

how much does jack charge for cousts? i was about to order a pair for 25euros

TNN Red's are meant to hit the shelves in a few weeks but i'm guessing they'll be about £40 on tarty going along with their tnn pad pricing, i'd wait and try them out if your in no immediate hurry

how much does jack charge for cousts? i was about to order a pair for 25euros

TNN Red's are meant to hit the shelves in a few weeks but i'm guessing they'll be about £40 on tarty going along with their tnn pad pricing, i'd wait and try them out if your in no immediate hurry

25 quid pal

The best pads I ever had were Coustsinks, until last year when I fitted LGMs. They were then the best until I recently fitted some plastic backed Cousts (from Jack). Nothing more can be said than INSANE! Fresh grind, dead grind, smooth rim, wet, dry... Whatever the conditions they are siiiiiick.

Extremely unsociable pad because of the ridiculous HONK, but I guess most pads on grinds are loud - these are just super duper loud haha. Jack charges £25 plus Paypal fees.

To be fair though I have fitted the Coust pads on a spanking new wheel-build so they are perfectly set up, whereas my LGMs were being run on a knackered rear wheel and not square to the rim even slightly - and yet they still kicked ass!

Basically, Cousts/LGMs and you're a winner.

LGMs are amazing!

I went from running them, to running beleays, and then the begreens, and they all performed sooooo well.

But every setup Ive seen/ tried running coust's has been unreal. The hold they offer doesnt seem real.

Although the pad retention method coustellier uses isnt one I'd trust, which is the sole reason I choose not to run them,

Would sooner buy the same material cut by Steve @ Heatsink Bikes that is recessed into the plastic backings as apposed to being stuck flat onto the backing.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Although the pad retention method coustellier uses isnt one I'd trust, which is the sole reason I choose not to run them,

Would sooner buy the same material cut by Steve @ Heatsink Bikes that is recessed into the plastic backings as apposed to being stuck flat onto the backing.

I have never understood why the original cousts have always preformed better than steves? In theory steves should work better because of the alu backings which would mean more power, shouldnt it?

But I did have the coust sinks and am now running the original cousts and there is a considerable difference.

They are the same material but I think how they're cut into backings changes the way they work.

Coust are stuck flat with I think 10mm of material in plastic backings, you can see them compress when you brake and obviously there's a lot of flex.

Coustainks are sunk into metal backings with less material, less "squish", less flex etc.

I think Coust material needs to be squished into the rim rather than just pushed like most other pads, obviously all pads with squash a bit but with the 10mm of material on cousts and the fact they're quite soft anyway probably squashes down more.

Obviously disregard my entire post if you have anything to prove otherwise :P

This is slightly off topic, but as the topic is regarding pads, I shall post this up.

Coust pads and Coustsink pads use the exact same material. The possible reasons for different performance from the same material can be down to how the material is cut and how each pad is fitted to the backings as Azarathal has mentioned.

I have been emailed by steve Spurgeon (Heatsink Bikes) a quote from Michel Coustellier.

"I supply with the green rubber to Heatsinkbikes for years for the manufacturing of pads Heatsinkbikes Coust. This material is the same that that used for pads Coust. If pilots have a doubt, they can contact me directly on my e-mail to have the confirmation of it.COUSTELLIER Michel"

I would like to think that this will finally clear this confusion up.

As for which pads are best, all pads are going to perform differently based upon the riders brake set up, (with or without a booster), also if the wheel is ground, if so how harsh the grind is, Even the frame can have an effect on the brake performance, a flexy frame may cause a set of brake pads to perform differently to the same pads on a stiffer frame.

I have used the Coust pads and the Heatsink yellows in Heatsink CNC backings. Both pads in my opinion worked briiliantly on my set ups. I am currently using Coustsinks (but I have the material fitted to TNN Belaey backings, just a choice of mine), which again in my opinion are working as well as my Coust pads, in fact I feel they are holding a bit better, but that could be down to a different frame and brake set up. Both Coust pads and Coustsinks were fitted on pretty much dead grinds and almost straight away were working spot on.

I have also used the TNN Belaeys which I found worked really well, though the performance seemed to drop after the pads had worn about half way.

So, has anyone here tried CNC'd Heatsink Yellows and the plastic backed Cousts?

Heatsink yellows are amazing, lots of bite and hold but unless the grind is kept fresh they go downhill quite quikcly.

I'm running plastic backed cousts and they're probably the best pads I've used, doesnt matter if my grind is dead, dirty, fresh etc they still perform amazingly and are also probably the loudest pads I've used too.

I have run the following...

heatsink cousts in metal

rockman blues in metal

heatsink yellows in metal

TNN baleay in metal

"real" cousts in plastic

all over at least a month, until the pad ran out or w/e

and I wouldn't rave about any of them. all been run on grinds. I don't know whether its harsh, deep, dead or w/e I just grind my rim. all run on an echo tr rim....except the last like months on onza pro diamond with the cousts.

Heatsink cousts I was terrible at riding when i had them and i can't remember how good they were, from what i posted in the pad bit they were amazing. but i wasn't a very good rider....

Blues were good when new but they got steadily worse after like 2 months needed new pads...yellows were brilliant, but i went through 2 pairs in about 2 or 3 months....Baleays were out and out rubbish, i think they were good for the first ten minutes...and coust are amazing when the grind is less than a week or 2 old. at the moment after a month or 2 my "real" cousts feel like a disk, with no bite, holds not to bad though.

Heatsink yellows are amazing, lots of bite and hold but unless the grind is kept fresh they go downhill quite quikcly.

I'm running plastic backed cousts and they're probably the best pads I've used, doesnt matter if my grind is dead, dirty, fresh etc they still perform amazingly and are also probably the loudest pads I've used too.

I can vouch for how loud they were. I remember selling these to you last year, there lasting you well.

My experiences with the Coust pads and Coustsinks have been the same as Azarathal's. I can't fault either pad.

They are the same material but I think how they're cut into backings changes the way they work.

Coust are stuck flat with I think 10mm of material in plastic backings, you can see them compress when you brake and obviously there's a lot of flex.

Coustainks are sunk into metal backings with less material, less "squish", less flex etc.

I think Coust material needs to be squished into the rim rather than just pushed like most other pads, obviously all pads with squash a bit but with the 10mm of material on cousts and the fact they're quite soft anyway probably squashes down more.

Obviously disregard my entire post if you have anything to prove otherwise :P

This makes sense (Y)

so it pretty much sounds to me that most of the high end pads are going to be pretty much the same. or as litte difference that it doesn't matter.

quite a few people have said that cousts are amazing. so i may end up giving them a go when my pads are dead.

do they come CNC backed or just plastic?

the only bad thing i can say about my LGM's is that when i ride in the rain, my grind goes all black and dirty and my brake isnt half as good. but after a pad sanding and rim grind theyre great again.

just cant be arsed to grind my rim after every few wet rides.

onza pro diamond with the cousts.

"real" cousts feel like a disk, with no bite, holds not to bad though.

That rim is your problem, get a rockman or an echo rim and those cousts will be amazing! i had the diamond rim for 3-4 months and couldn't get any brake to work at all with it, its really meant to be used with disk.

So yeah, better rim will make a world of a difference