The Car Thread

MadManMike

im not finding you a set of wheels go find your own, cos the ones you have bought suck.

My wheels are f**king awesome.

315404_10151271600070130_1335775443_n.jpg

What I meant was go and find me a set of the wheels I have for the price that you guys say they are, because I looked and I couldn't find any comparable wheels on ebay/pistonheads/bimmerforum let alone cheap.

I'm not being shitty about things Bucky, or being a defensive fanny. But unless you link me to a set of wheels and show me them then I don't believe it; if you do link me to a set then I've learnt something new and I was wrong.

BBS RC090's ARE Style 5's and came in 17 or 18" with 7 or 8J, unless that's what you meant/I'm mixed up? http://bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/wheels/BMWWheels.htm

Why do people on this forum think I have a problem with being wrong? I'm wrong all the time, but I learn from it and move on just like everybody else.

Edited by Pashley26

Wtf, are you a schizo?

You always claim you are right and never wrong. That's why people have a problem with you, it's your shitty attitude that makes you look like a dick!

No I don't, don't be a mug for effect or just to jump on the band wagon.

I'll take an opinion on the wheels from somebody like Bucky who actually knows what he is talking about, but otherwise everybody can jog on.

I've found these for £500 which were posted this afternoon, which have got shitty allen bolts instead of the genuine BBS press pins (£120 a bag) and are in need of a lip polish.

http://www.edition38...howtopic=461243

(for those who can't see the link due to not being E38 members)

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0775.jpg

And I've just found these for £550 without tires and with allen bolts instead of BBS pins in exactly the same nick as mine, posted last week and sold within a day -

http://www.edition38...rums/index.php?

showtopic=455215&st=0&p=4578358&hl=bmw&fromsearch=1&#entry4578358

DSC05637.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

And these which are £640 with worn budget tires and the bloke wanted an extra £100 for the BBS pins and they have incomplete center caps, but with a snazzy pink refurb. Again, posted within the last couple of months on E38 and sold within weeks.

http://www.edition38...1

72471ab2.jpg

7a5a97d8.jpg

I still don't think I am wrong at all and clearly the guys selling those doesn't either, £800 might be a little high but if I was going to sell them tomorrow I would put them up for £750 posted or something like that. I bet somebody would bite. You can't possibly argue that having a second of the more expensive wheels, proper allen bolts and 5 brand new tires isn't worth £250/300.

And here is a set of the RC009/10's that Bucky says are a £800 if minging and only come in 18", but in 17" and in the 8/9J staggered offset he says they only come in for £400 with tires. Posted yesterday on E38 -

http://www.edition38...howtopic=458262

2712198.jpg

2712197.jpg

2712196.jpg

In short, I don't think this is the right forum to be posting about the value of split wheels on. Because clearly none of us (myself included) have got a clue about what we are looking at or what they're actually worth because it all depends on the seller and buyers perceived value of the wheels.

I seem to remember Simon having a similar argument with us about the splits on his Civic coupe and on his hatchback only a few months ago; so it isn't JUST me.

I've posted my examples, I've posted three comparable wheels without tires within the ball park price range. So please get off my back and move on; because by the looks of it I was right after all.

Here's mine as a before and after, I've given the centers a very quick wet sand and re-polished the lips with a wire wool and Auto Glym metal polish and then lacquered them so they look original, I used BMW Titanium Silver 354 on the centers and the press pins and four coats of lacquer on the centers and lips -

304869_10151271600700130_692329846_n.jpg

:)

Edited by Pashley26

The next person to argue about or even mention these f**king BMW wheels gets banned for a week. Its gone on for long enough. They came of a 90's saloon. Whoop-de-doo. Stop making out like they are gold dust and worth millions. If they are worth £800, sell them for that, and post proof on the forum, then claim your prize of a slice of humble pie (with custard of ice cream, your choice). If not, shut the f**k up.

• Like 6

Have a picture from the weekend:

post-4312-0-65919800-1343168108_thumb.jp

Unfortunately I was just passing by Anglesey circuit, but it was lunchtime so I didn't manage to see anything actually out on track, this pair looked interesting though, Scirocco had Audi RS(something) brakes on it, as well as a serious cage and you can see a sneaky oil cooler there. The GT car looked interesting if a little dated, I do like GT's with a roof though, and it was hiding a V8.

PS, complete lack of padding on the 'roccos cage is worrying though. Which reminds me, greetings, roll cage padding needs to be much harder than most people realise, the proper stuff's something along the lines of the density of the foam in a bike helmet, no help for comfort, but in a crash it'll save your ass. (well, probably your head unless something's gone horribly wrong.) You can buy proper foam for it but it's a bit pricey. Worth it in my opinion though, unless you've got a cheaper way of putting the same density foam in the same coverage, in which case happy days. (Link to the sort I'm talking on about.) Places will sell you soft pipe lagging style foam as 'roll cage padding', but it'll do little more than comfort.

Edited by RobinJI
  • Like 2

Would anyone like to buy a famous seat? As owned and sat in by none other than TF's very own MX5 racing star, Tartridge!!11one1!!!!!!

Made in october 09, so FIA dated until 2014, in absolutely perfect condition with no marks, it really is like a brand new seat.

aca7bb0d.jpg

6637cb97.jpg

9beacb3d.jpg

edef4936.jpg

37cdfb9b.jpg

cbbaed15.jpg

Enquire within to purchase your very own piece of TartyRacing history.

haha, thanks Adam. it's a properly epic seat, It's my physical proportions that are less epic :(

I've got a friend that's interested to use it in the trackday trophy in his cupra. If not I'll see if I can find a half sensible quite to ship it back to you so your enjoyment of it may continue!

Off to Cobra HQ tomorrow to have some seats custom fitted for Dad and I :)

2 sets of R32 / TT wishbones and hubs have arrived, one set to throw on straight away to replace the bent ones, and one set to take my time with, clean up and paint, fit new ball joints and bearings, and poly bush the wishbones.

I've got a set of KW V3's coming second hand from a friend, and will be getting some Eibach eccentric top mounts, and rear camber / toe shims using the voucher I won for coming 3rd in the handling course at GTI international

Hopefully that'll get her driving straight again, then I need to man up and plough some money into bodywork for the first time ever! That's going to hurt :(

Ordered coilovers, camber plates, rear top mounts and adjustable tie arms this morning.

Good old pay day :)

Didn't you buy D2 coilovers just last week? What happened to those? :blink:

Car's back from a sort of MOT, passed. Now I need to figure out why the heavy steering. Got a set of new camber plates wating but might have to machine some bushings because the ball is way too big. Anyhow.

img5111lh.jpg

img5110xa.jpg

By the way Adam, if you need somewhere to kip, or wanna grab some (non-overpriced track) dinner, you're more than welcome to come to mine. I'm only 2 miles from the track, and there's plenty of takeaways to choose from (considering its only a little village! There's a Chinese, kebab, fish and chips, and an Indian about 10 mins away. All of which are really good). Let me know, then I can pre-warn the missus that the house will be invaded :P

Do you have to register as a passenger with apex? I'm well up for a passenger lap, just need a helmet, do you have a spare?

Yes - but you can do it on the day no probs. Will bring my spare lid (Y)

By the way Adam, if you need somewhere to kip, or wanna grab some (non-overpriced track) dinner, you're more than welcome to come to mine. I'm only 2 miles from the track, and there's plenty of takeaways to choose from (considering its only a little village! There's a Chinese, kebab, fish and chips, and an Indian about 10 mins away. All of which are really good). Let me know, then I can pre-warn the missus that the house will be invaded :P

That would have been absolutely amazing, thank you, but unfortunately I think we are going to have to do it all in a day cos we can't leave the dog alone for too long... Might take you up on that offer towards the end of August when I have a race weekend though, if that would be possible? Get 5 tickets which I would be happy to donate to you so you can go along and watch if you like?

So after spending over an hour trying to figure out why the steering is so heavy I still have no idea. I've found that:

- Steering has a similar feel whether you're driving along and turning the wheel or stationary

- With the front wheels off the ground, it's not that much lighter

- There's very little difference with the front wheels off the ground between the engine running (assist is on) or off

- It takes quite a lot of strength to turn the wheels by hand and there are tight spots

- There's a strange squeak coming from the steering column, could be nothing though

To sum up I have no idea what's going on. Guessing something could be really tight, but can't figure out what.

That would have been absolutely amazing, thank you, but unfortunately I think we are going to have to do it all in a day cos we can't leave the dog alone for too long... Might take you up on that offer towards the end of August when I have a race weekend though, if that would be possible? Get 5 tickets which I would be happy to donate to you so you can go along and watch if you like?

Yeah man, thats fine! Will be fun.

Don't worry about the tickets though, Snetterton "residents" get free entry to any event (one of the reasons why I love living here so much!).