The Car Thread

MadManMike

Anchorman quotes aside, you're generally known for rather different reasons :P

Thanks for that, Nick. Shall heed the advice and get looking in to mk2s facelift mk1s*. Now I'm going to be doing less miles than ever in my own car it makes sense to have a fun little petrol toy. I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be leaving it pretty much standard, at least as far as things go under the bonnet, but never say never I guess. If that changes I'll no doubt be in touch!

*my bad - was partway through a load of stuff at work regarding a mk2 financial model!

:)

that's not to say that the pre facelift is a bad car at all, it's what Bob had (and crashed), and was a nice car.

THe ones Biggy and Tic have are both facelifts though, and they're much more easy on the eye.

Pre facelift:

1.jpg

140238147.jpg

Facelift:

148722318.jpg

DSC00577j.jpg

Nicer bigger wheels, much smarter bumpers, just a bit less dated :)

• Like 1

Pre-facelifts dont really look any different to "normal" Leons (bar the multispoke alloys); so you pay the extra, but still look like a pauper.

At least the facelift has a full sport bodykit, so there is some differentiation between the models (although they can still be confused with a soot chucker!).

Why anybody wouldn't pay the extra for a facelift one is beyond me.

no real mechanical difference at all mate. both have an AUQ 180bhp engine with an 02M 6 speed gearbox and the same ECU / management (Bosch ME7.5). All other brakes and running gear are the same.

Early Preface lift cars on an X-Y plate had full electric memory leather and electric folding mirrors as standard, these became an option later on.

Some early facelifts like Bigmans have the old mirrors but new bumpers.

Wicked - big brakes are always a winner. Leather and folding mirrors would be pretty nice, but far from essential (and easy enough to chuck in/on at a later date if I ever get cravings!) Handy to know that there was a little crossover though.

As I mentioned before, it'll be 6 weeks or so at least before I'll be looking to buy so there's plenty of time to fill myself with (some) knowledge. Even then there's no real rush to get my hands on one so I can play the waiting game for a while until something nice comes along.

No, Ticcy got the deal, facelift with teardrop mirrors, and optional full leather. Biggy has non electric old style mirrors and cloth interior.

Ticcys car was about £2.6k I seem to recall, but it's unimaginably tidy, you won't find many better. £2k will easily see you a facelift car around or under 100k.

Bigmans car is still nice though :) and in a desirable colour, same as georges

Plus some (like mine) have cruise control. When I was looking I also saw one for sale with built in sat nav.

Now we can end your education of every option on the Leon Cupra's :lol:

I'm still resisting getting a stage 1 map, it seems pointless when I will probably be selling the car in 8 months :(

Sell in 2 months, for £1800 'cause you love me, and I might know someone who'll have it off you :-

Why the change though dude? Guessing it's work/annual mileage related?