The Car Thread

MadManMike

I'd rather like to take a trip up to Combe on Saturday, it'd be good to see everyone, but I kind of need to work, and there's an interesting guest coming to work who I'm quite curious to have a chat with. Hmm... Wonder if I could do half a day lol. Trouble is this bloody mini I've been working on needs to be done ASAP, so I'm not sure taking a day off it would be the best idea.

PS, Jardo, the 205 does look tidy. It should be a fun little car. Sorry I was a bit distracted last night, still, it was good to catch up even if it was only briefly!

Edited by RobinJI

Lol, Jardo, it's a long, complicated and frustrating story, with lots of examples of the right place at the wrong time, and me being an idiot! I think the ending could go either way, but I won't bore everyone on here with it, I'm sure you can guess what ending I'm hoping for though lol.

George, yeah, it'd be good to put a few more faces to names/internet personas, I'm just really not sure if I can miss work, being self employed's great for the fact I can choose, but not so cool that the decision, and therefore the consequences are 100% on my shoulders!

Edited by RobinJI

A tip from the top; stop imagining she's insulted people and then calling her out about the fictitious insults in front of the person she supposedly insulted. That was hilarious.

In all seriousness; good work. I hope you get the desired results; she seems very nice :)

George, be prepared to be totally out geeked by Robin.

To be fair the pair of you could probably exchange ID's and get away with it -

253861_10151353406175130_1669668840_n.jpg

253921_10151150107113955_1924731154_n.jpg

Seamons, I know it's like another hour and a half further but if you fancy it you could stay at mine on Saturday night; get drunk and come get this 205 GTI with me in the morning :)

A tip from the top; stop imagining she's insulted people and then calling her out about the fictitious insults in front of the person she supposedly insulted. That was hilarious.....

Haha, yeah, that was pretty funny, I felt quite bad when I realised it was Joe at work that had said it not her!

I guess I'll just have to see how I get on at work tomorrow. If I make good progress I could do a late evening tomorrow and maybe miss the Saturday to make my way up there.

What sort of daily mileage do people think warrants getting a diesel car?

For uni i'm doing 30 miles there, 30 miles back 4 times a week.

Of the 60 miles a day 40 miles are on the motorway (2/3s are mway for the lazy), the rest is around 30mph roads in city.

I'm not sure what to do with mine. Today I put my seats back in to make it look more like a car and gave it a right good wash. I went into it thinking i'm doing all this to sell it but came back after thinking it's actually quite a tidy car really, not problems for the MOT etc.

I just wonder if i'll be better getting a petrol, but i'd want something fast if i'm going back N/A petrol. Any ideas if its worth keeping or getting a petrol again?

This is what it looked like !

381257_10151021184900986_1397581523_n.jpg

It'll depend on the type of driving you do too. For me living in the middle of nowhere a diesel's much more efficient regardless of how many miles I do, but for someone in a city it would be a different story. I never get in the car without it getting up to full temperature for a while. My current commute I consider to be on my door step and that's over 7 miles lol. Also depends on the type of car I guess, again diesel's much better, as it's a big estate that occasionally tows stuff and shifts lots of weight.

Jardo, is there a price difference with the new cars? I'm guessing with older stuff the difference is less exaggerated, as the petrol and diesel models will have less of a price difference.

I'm kind of swaying towards keeping my B3 a while longer and modifying it more, which could be fun. I'm thinking black/dark grey before interior with the Recaros from my Scirocco, a five stud conversion with mk3 GTI bits (guy I'm working with's breaking one, and my solid discs fade too easily for my liking.) with 17" S3 wheels, air-ride then eventually a swap for a PD130.

Edited by RobinJI

DO IT !!!

Thinking about blowing all my savings on this baby, owner's well known on the S2000 forums:

2592612746.jpg

Really shouldn't but they are such amazing cars to drive... thank god winter is coming, might help me keep the money in my account. Must... resist...

The price gap between even a 2nd hand diesel and a petrol version of the same car means that unless you're doing loads of miles and keep the car for long enough you'll never recoup the difference. It's why I went for a petrol load lugger. The price premium for a diesel 2nd hand car is just silly! Especially as it's nigh on 10p a litre more expensive....

If I was doing fewer short journeys I'd stick with my derv - lazy torque all day long is a winner.

Add in the fact that I paid less than the equivalent petrol engined car when I bought mine and it's an easy one to call.

Less long journeys in my own car now however and it's time for something a little more pokey :P

Mine doesnt chuck soot much at all, infact in 2 months of not washing it, the bumper had a couple of teeny black splodges on it! Remember my exhaust isn't downward facing either, it's the cleanest old diesel i've seen! My audi was something else though....I thought it was night time when looking in the rear view mirror regardless of how I drove :(

My Passat's damn good for soot too, I've not once had to clean it because of soot, the back always gets dirty with road dirt long before it starts to go black, even when I don't wash it for 2000+ miles it's just grubby with dust and mud. I think that's pretty impressive for a 19 year old car with 165k on the clocks, and zero electronic control on the engine (literally takes 2 wires to make it run perfectly). And yeah, the low end torque of the diesel suits a daily well. Mine could do with some more power sometimes though, 80bhp really isn't a lot, haha.

Edited by RobinJI