Xtr V Or Echo Disc For The Front?

Burglarboycie

Hi all

I am trying to decide whether to go for an xtr v or echo disc on the front of my 26" speed race i am building. I want an uber light build with echo sl forks so would obviously need the beautiful echo 4 bolt-v mounts!! Has anyone had much experience with this set up? Do v brakes work ok on reverse mount forks Will it suffer from flex/play whilst gapping to front etc? Also, i may run a v on the rear too but again this would involve more adaptors as the speed race has 4 bolt mounts. Are people having much success with rear v's these days. I used to run one on my pashley back in the day.

Any help greatly appreciated.

James

Edited by Burglarboycie

vee's are good if setup right, but the vee-adaptors have a habit of snapping. dual disc is shit IMO, just for the fact youll forever be buying rotors if your learning. why not just go for magura's? they are lighter than most discs and are tried and tested.

Duel disc. Winning combination.

For stock? (A) I don´t think so

Echo SL forks-no good(they are very prone to snapping,4bolt version mostly,not worth the weight saving)

Echo disc brake-no good(especially for stock as they only come in 180mm version not 203)

XTR Vees-no good for trials(there´s a lot of lighter and better vees,like new XT-not linear pull version,or avid sd sl)

Your wheel has WAY less leverage over the brake than a 26" will, meaning a disc brake can feel great on your bike, but crap on a 26", so the experience of them on a 20" isn't really directly relevant.

Got to agree with ghostrider88 about the linear pull XTR's not being so good for trials, they work loose and you don't see the advantages of them in trials use, a decent avid or a solid armed Shimano will do you well. I'm quite a fan of dual V, but I've never ridden at a particularly high level, so although I get on with them, other people may not.

Im confused!!! What makes the echo such a bad brake? Are they just not up to the job on a 26"? Seems that there is a universal hatred of them so will maybe give it a miss. As for maggies, ive never been a huge fan to be honest. I have always found the lever to be uncomfortable, they are a pain to bleed and never seem to stay properly set up for long. If my speed race had a disc mount in the rear i would try double disc (controversial i know :-P) My xtr with dx lever always had plenty of power back in the day with a bit of tar on the rim with no grind.

Hmmm, why oh why is that echo brake so bad, everything else they make seems so good!!

Thanks for all the help guys

James

Do you not find it flexes quite a bit?

If you set it up properly and use linear slick cable,it can feel just as stiff as maggy even without booster.I still use booster though,I´m affraid of ripping posts out of the adaptor body as the brake holds too much sometimes LOL.Can´t remember it slipping backwards really.

• Like 1

I've used a new, mint, perfectly set up echo disc on a 26" bike, and it was crap. They're just not good enough.

If you're buying new....avid Juicy 5/7? I've used a juicy 5 with a 203 rotor, and it's the best disc I've ever used in my life. They cost a fraction of a hope trial brake.

If you're going V, just get something solid like an avid, you don't need a linear pull xtr with all those moving parts flexing about.

I always found shimanos to be spongy in feel, and very prone to air locks when bleeding. I used to run a juicy 7 on my zoo, never had any trouble. ran a shimano deore on my jump bike, was never happy with it.

I always found shimanos to be spongy in feel, and very prone to air locks when bleeding. I used to run a juicy 7 on my zoo, never had any trouble. ran a shimano deore on my jump bike, was never happy with it.

New ones should be easier to bleed,I actually manage to bleed my saint lever perfectly first try and I haven´t bleed disc brake before and found it to be pretty easy to do.And it feels stiff as fook too,same with deore lever(I´m talking about levers because I´m using the same caliper with both levers)