Effects Of Bar Height

forteh

A bit of a daft question if you will, how does low bars vs high bars affect rear wheel handling for a certain bb height?

The geo on my triton is 1080wb 385cs 30bb (with 40 rake forks), I don't recall the reach off the top of my head though; using trialtech sport bars.

I had a trialtech sport stem but because I'm only short (5'7" and a bit) and I really struggled sometimes to loft the front end in a manual, this obviously restricted me being able to bunnyhop. I got a tryall 127x27° which effectively moved the bars up by about an inch, whilst it is a touch easier to loft the bike felt heavier on the back wheel, almost as if it was a lower bottom bracket.

Tried with my trialtech stem on again yesterday and felt far more comfortable on the back wheel again, also seemed a bit more precise on two wheels. Is it likely that the 127x30° is too high for a 30bb and make it feel heavier or is it purely placebo effect and I'm being a tart? :D

I think technically a higher front end on a low BB frame will make rear wheel control more difficult.

When your stood on the rear wheel with high bars you'd be holding the front end further away from you making the BB further away from the rear so your balance would be off more than if the BB was over the rear wheel.

I think anyway...

High bars = bike rides good. Low bars = bike is a pogo stick :dance:

Being serious - lower bars = bike is more vertical on the rear wheel = feels easier on the rear wheel.

Higher bars = better for riding it like an actual bike.

There is no 'perfect' stem, it's always a trade off.

• Like 3

I think technically a higher front end on a low BB frame will make rear wheel control more difficult.

When your stood on the rear wheel with high bars you'd be holding the front end further away from you making the BB further away from the rear so your balance would be off more than if the BB was over the rear wheel.

I think anyway...

I think that's where my train of thought was heading.

High bars = bike rides good. Low bars = bike is a pogo stick :dance:

Being serious - lower bars = bike is more vertical on the rear wheel = feels easier on the rear wheel.

Higher bars = better for riding it like an actual bike.

There is no 'perfect' stem, it's always a trade off.

Most of my riding is semi pogo stick, but it feels nice and stable on two wheels (I'm guessing because of the low BB compared to most frames these days) and unfortunately because of my short stature I'm very limited on bunnyhopping which is a shame because I would like to be able to do so properly :(

I understand its a trade off, but for the geo stated would you say the trialtech or tryall stem would be better suited for slightly more pogostick biased riding? :)

edit: both stems using the same amount of stackers - 5mm I think.

Edited by forteh

Following the topic, very interesting for me to.

I'm small and I ride a 30 bb to, my stem is 125mm 25º and the balance in rear wheel it's not good enough comparing with other bikes.

Maybe we need some other frame with higher bb??

I understand its a trade off, but for the geo stated would you say the trialtech or tryall stem would be better suited for slightly more pogostick biased riding? :)

Whichever is lower, Trialtech in this case? Will struggle for bunnyhops though.

Maybe think about getting something which keeps the bars at the same height but brings them closer to you? That'll mean shorter but steeper, or just shorter with more stackers - might help you get the trade off a bit better. Ultimately though, your Triton was never really built for bunnyhops eh?!

Maybe think about getting something which keeps the bars at the same height but brings them closer to you? That'll mean shorter but steeper, or just shorter with more stackers - might help you get the trade off a bit better. Ultimately though, your Triton was never really built for bunnyhops eh?!

Its a possibility, you lose the weight over the front wheel though which will adversely affect the handling elsewhere, as Adam said, its a trade off. You're right though, it was never built for bunnyhops :)

Sounds familiar!

I don't even try and bunnyhop long bikes any more :P

That is going to continue to be my method of riding I think! At least whilst I've got a long bike with big wheels, if I want to bunnyhop I have my bmx and mountainbike :)

I think the best solution all round would be to donate the bike to someone who will bunnyhop it for you.

Now, it's a bit of an inconvenience but if your desperate I'll have it?? :-

Well now I wouldn't mind a 24" triton, a condensed version of mine if you will. If you happen to find one lying around I'll do you a swap, but till then ;)

if your having trouble working out what stem will do what you can always use trig to help, remember that thing in school every one thought was a load of balls...

you can always play about with spacers to adjust the hight up and down but you really need to get the right stem to get the right reach, rolling the bars doesnt always get it

http://www.pagetutor.com/trigcalc/trig.html