Drill My Rim

williams

Hi all, I have a undrilled Try-all rim. The cheapest 19" rim on tarty I think. I have pretty much free time over and wan't to try to drill it. I dont want to take the spokes etc of. How should i Drill it? like many small holes, and small holes in the "second wall"? (it's a double walled rim) or just big wholes between the spokes? :)

Make marks all the way round the rim for the centre point between every set of spokes, (missing the join in the rim, don't drill that)

Drill through every mark with a smallish bit, probably 5-6mm.

Then use a hole saw like the one below to drill much larger holes simply following the ones you've drilled, approximately 25mm hole saw, that's up to you though.

Bi_Metal_Hole_Saw.jpg

Take it easy, push to hard on the hole saw and you'll damage it. You want a medium to high rpm whilst drilling.

Make sure to get a bi-metal hole saw, they seem to be the strongest.

Might want to sand down each hole afterwards, I couldn't be bothered though.

Oh, and you'll want a vice or something to clamp the wheel with.

That's how I did it anyway. It me took bloody ages(like 3 days), so my advice is just get another rim!

Hope this helps.

Make marks all the way round the rim for the centre point between every set of spokes, (missing the join in the rim, don't drill that)

Then use a hole saw like the one below to drill much larger holes simply following the ones you've drilled, approximately 25mm hole saw, that's up to you though.

Take it easy, push to hard on the hole saw and you'll damage it. You want a medium to high rpm whilst drilling.

That's how I did it anyway. It me took bloody ages(like 3 days), so my advice is just get another rim!

Hope this helps.

Ah alright cheers. Will think about it. I have some time over and are probably going to buy a new rear rim, so why not drill this one :)

If you know where to look you can probably pay someone to drill your rim for you.

Was that hidden lol like a way of being sarcastic? but naah I wan't to try it myself :)

Was that hidden lol like a way of being sarcastic? but naah I wan't to try it myself :)

It was ;) But would be an option, If you feel like you cant be bothered in the end.

Go for it. So long as you measure your points properly and drill straight it will be fine.

[pic]

Hope this helps.

Yeah basically this, only I'd go for something like a 2mm for the first pilot hole. I did an old rim like this, only took a couple of hours if that. Make sure you use a decent drill, a cheapo cordless won't take it well.

(Using as small pilot hole as possible is better practice for the drill bits, most of those hole saws use a 6-8mm drill in the centre, if this is repeatedly enlarging holes nearly as big as it then it'll wear the outer corners of the hole saws centre drill and blunt them quickly, if you use a nice small bit then it should wear it evenly, making it much easier to sharpen. The idea of a pilot hole is only to drill the small centre section that the bigger drill doesn't have a cutting edge on, any bigger and you're just causing uneven wear on the drill bits for no real benefit.)