Fitting Super High Rise Bars Into A 3D Stem

Lewis Gething

Hi all,

So I am going to get my hands on a set of Trialtech High Rise bars to go on my Bionic, but I am wondering if they will actually fit through my stem's clamps (Try-All 3D 150mm). I am well aware of the various methods that one can do to 'prize open' the stem to fit riser bars, but since the Trialtechs have a much higher overall rise compared to other trials bars, I just want to know if anyone has fitted these bars to a two-bolt-clamp stem without a huge amount of hassle.

May be a silly topic, but I need to make sure, so I am sorry :D

Lewis

It is possible, my mate got some trialtech high rise bars through the 75mm (think it was - the short one anyway) and the clamp snapped off the main body of the stem after about 6 months, so i wouldn't advise it.

If it took 6 months to snap, surely it wasn't just opening the 2bolt clamp up to fit the bars...

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't think that opening up the clamps was solely to blame :D

I fitted the bars yesterday, and had no problems whatsoever. In terms of the bars themselves though, they could possibly be the best purchase (bike stuff at least) I have ever made. They just feel and look sooo good :D Massive difference compared to the Easton XC bars I had :D

• Like 1

If it took 6 months to snap, surely it wasn't just opening the 2bolt clamp up to fit the bars...

It's impossible to say for sure but opening the clamp so wide is putting stress into the material/weld in a way that it wasn't designed for.

Would you be happy with your stem failing after 6 months riding? I personally wouldn't do it but it's your decision not mine.

It was also in part to do with a shit weld where part of it was under 1mm thick and possibly because the high rise bars give your efforts some extra leverage on this weld.. it was a funny crash though.

001-1.jpg

I'd recommend, if you are going to do it, to take time to make sure you only need to open it the minimum amount necessary to get the bars through.

It was also in part to do with a shit weld where part of it was under 1mm thick and possibly because the high rise bars give your efforts some extra leverage on this weld.. it was a funny crash though.

I'd recommend, if you are going to do it, to take time to make sure you only need to open it the minimum amount necessary to get the bars through.

Looks nasty, and I agree with opening slowly and minimum amount etc etc, but Lewis has done it already haha.

Same! Seems like the welds on these stems aren't very good in general, as mine has an issue too. The front clamp section has been welded on at an angle, so my bars aren't at a perfectly perpendicular angle to the stem's shaft/ front wheel :( Not a huge deal though really, as I can't notice it whilst riding :)

001-1.jpg

quick release folding tool to be built?