Brakes

bike_dummie

Hi,

Not your usual brake topic but i cannot seem to be able to ride with them? I had been riding riding brakeless for about 2 months at the most and ever since i have put my brakes on i cant ride at all! All my balance and confidence has gone, i can barely do half what i could brakeless. Has this happened to anyone else as this is really taking away any motivation i have to ride! All help is very much appreciated :D

Thanks, Adam!

I find I can go up bigger things brakeless than with, guess its a sub conscious thing making me make sure

fo sure, having all fingers on the bars really helps I think, I have to ride death grip with brakes sometimes if I'm trying a big hop, I hardly ever cover the front when hopping, feels horrible.

I've never ridden brakeless but I was doing a bit of dirt jumping on my mountain bike recently and had no need for brakes where I was riding so death gripped with all fingers on the bars. It felt horrible and I was all over the place! I went straight back to three fingers on the bars and one on the brake and felt fine. I figure its just what you're used to.

I seem to just go for it when Im brakeless.
With brakes, I can just about do 8/9ft across a gap to rear wheel or to front, but thats just.
Without them, I seem to just go for it, really put some power down and throw my self across the gap to land 90*.

The same with sidehops. I actually find tucking easier because I run my bars further back, with the rise upright and having a nice amount of backsweep, but I cant run them like that with brakes because my position/style wont agree with it, and I prefer them further forward with brakes.

I agree about going up bigger things too. While it takes me a good few attempts, the fact I have no brakes and full grip on the bars means I have to go for it, so no whimping out.

I'm thinking of building another mod as well as my Ice to go brakeless on. Maybe a Jaf/Marino If I can afford it.