Running out of USB ports!

JT!

Only have 3 on my laptop, one is constantly in use my a wireless mouse, then there's a keyboard, webcam, headset, game pad, ipod, external hard drive etc etc to be plugged in.

I bought a 4 port usb multi adapter, it seems to be utter shite, mouse and keyboard regularly stop working, ipod won't even sync or charge though it it would appear.

I know there's limitations to non-powered usb hubs, so should I buy a powered one, and if so will this actually make a difference, or am I just trying to send too much information down one usb port?

(Also I'm plugging a bunch of 2.0 devices in a 3.0 usb port so would getting a 3.0 device help?)

Edited by JT!

One USB port can only do one powered thing in an ideal world. So you can't for example read a USB drive and charge your phone.

Not even sure a powered one would help to be honest, we tried it at work and it still wouldn't charge through a powered one for some reason.

I've a powered hub and it seems ok running wireless keyboard/mouse combo, sd reader, Ipod and phone charger? (its branded after my dads employer qinetiq but I'll see if it has another brand mark) and my external HDD is powered and only connected for back ups every week or two and through main line usb with almost everything else disconnected

I've got a non-powered 4 port hub thing that cost sod all from Tesco. It lives permanently plugged into a mouse, card reader, phone charger and 1TB non-powered external hard drive. Never had the slightest fault from it, even when using everything at once, which I do pretty regularly. Maybe it's just the particular hub you've got that's no good rather than non-powered ones in general?

Well mine must be really really really shit then.

New one ordered.

Is it a powered one you've ordered?

I had a quick look into this because I had time this morning.

The issue is that USB ports adhere to a standard that only requires them to provide 0.5A (or 0.9A if they're USB3). Most modern motherboard manufacturers provide way above that, my motherboard for example gives 1.5A. (3 times the standard). To put the issue into perspective, iPads require 2.1A to charge, and iPhones require 1.0A to charge at full speed. If the amperage they're provided with drops, they'll either charge slowly or not at all.

If you use an unpowered hub on a 0.5A port, then each port on the hub may be receiving far less than that. 8 ports getting fed 0.5A gives 0.0625A each, whereas some powered hubs however support up to 2.5A per socket.

If you have an iPad or iPhone, you're always better charging them from a wall charger really.

I bought a well reviewed powered one with 7 ports. The one I have now is the cheapest one I could find and I think it might not even be detected as a 2.0 device now that I look into it.