bit of stem advice

mtbsteveo

Evening all, I'm in the process of putting together an echo pure 2012. This will be my first frame with a high bb, so I'm like a fish out of water, and I could do with some advice on what stem geo wise to go for. I see the completes come with something lowish but people tend to run high mod stem so I'm lost! Haha

anyone wanna be awesome and explain why... i feel there is a need for a definitive guide to choosing stems. ultimatley its horses for courses, and there's some stubborn and weird mother f**kers out there who will use the wrong bits and tell everyone they are great anyway. but it'd be nice to have an explanation of why longer/shorter more up/down and how bars can influence it.

I used a 127x30 tryall stem with my tryall carbons on a frame with similar geo to a pure. It felt really nice and I couldn't imagine it with a bigger stem, with a 70bb I can see why a 150x30 is popular.

What bars are you planning on using?

I currently have an old echo one, would a mod stem work?

"an old echo one" is just as useless as saying you have a stem :P

A mod stem will work, a dirt jump stem would work. But it would feel different

It all depends on BB rise, handlebars, reach, chainstay length and also your personal preference.

But if you want an easy answer, a 150x30 would be fine.

Edited by DrStix