why do i keep snapping spokes?

ashleys sugden

Built my own wheels for the limey 4 just cause I wanted black spokes, takes a bit of time and if you make a mistake you'll have to debuild and re-build it again. I took my wheels to the local bike shop before truing it up completely just to make sure it was all good and they said it was good for a first ever wheelbuild.

It's a nice feeling using wheels you built.

Do you keep truing the wheel ?

i do when the spokes snap..

Trueing is the hardest part of building a wheel.. It's actually really easy when you get the hang of it (Y)

ok thanks, i might have to try on an old wheel first.

Did you buy a full build echo? could be wank spokes.

Get some ace ones, building isn't that hard at all :)

yeah they are a standard build, and the front wheels spokes are laced up weird, the disc side cross each other but the other side dont?

Built my own wheels for the limey 4 just cause I wanted black spokes, takes a bit of time and if you make a mistake you'll have to debuild and re-build it again. I took my wheels to the local bike shop before truing it up completely just to make sure it was all good and they said it was good for a first ever wheelbuild.

It's a nice feeling using wheels you built.

i will have to try, ill just have to get a whole new load of spokes, i will probably do it at the end of these holidays.. just replace the ones that have snapped for now, or on a wet day.

thanks everyone

I had the same problem with Echo spokes on my Echo urban 24". Spokes seemed shit quality. I also found when the wheel was put in a proper wheel jig the rim wasnt made even. When the wheel sat in the jig, one edge or side sat higher than the other. which meant when i was landing on it, the slightly lower side was taking nore load initially, than the higher, hence breaking spokes every week. i'd already replaced the echo spokes with DT Swiss and the problem didnt go away. had to replace the rim.