rim brake vs disc

persistant_itch

• 1 month later...

Maguras inherently suck. Magura is a company with virtually no competition, so they have no reason to improve their products, although they seem pretty good at f**king them up (e.g. 2011 HS33).

I've run Avid BB7 front and Magura HS33 rear for one whole year on my Echo 24. During that time, the BB7 has been absolutely reliable and has required zero maintenance. By contrast, the rear HS33 requires maintenance every time I ride.

I have read several claims that "a correctly set up Magura brake is hassle-free and set-and-forget". Believe me, those claims are BS:

1) As you pull the wheel back to tighten to tighten the chain you'll also want the pads to follow, which means you'll have to move them, not easy when the steel bolts have bitten into the aluminium 4-boolt slave clamps.

2) You will also have to ensure that your rims are perfectly straight before and during each and every ride so the pads don't rub on the rim when coasting. Disk brakes don't care if the rim is bent, as long as the rotor is straight (which it usually is as it's not supposed to come into contact with anything other than the brake pads).

3) A rear rim brake feels spongy due to seatstay flex. Yes, you can use a brake booster, but unfortunately boosters get in the way when you try to adjust your brake and it becomes a major pain in the ass.

4) The newer Magura brakes make it very difficult to change a broken oil line.

5) A rear rim brake is very hard to adjust compared with a disk brake, especially compared with the BB7.

6) Rim brake pads wear faster.

7) As has been said, Maguras are noisy and have less modulation.

Obviously Maggies do a good job at stopping bikes, that's why they're so popular, but they also suck in more ways than they rock.

My next bike will be a dual-BB7 mod for the perfect zero-maintenance bike. More riding, less messing around with tools.

Edited by Scoox
  • Like 1

I get you dave, that was the original idea. But now, they are almost exclusively used in trials, as most of the mtb world went dual disk years ago. Magura need to hurry up and get the new design out

• Like 1

i think magura should ditch the whole carbotecture cr*p,a customer had a bent lever blade,and the lever had been replaced.

took the oportunity to strip a 2011 lever down again,and thought something like:

why the f**k is there a plastic cylinder?

btw the cylinder had wearing marks on the inside,if it hadnt been bent at the blade it´d ´ve been leaking soon though.

and that was a trekking bike!

starting to get typical for that model lol

anybody knowing when those tensiles are available?cant wait

• Like 1