3D Printing

Greetings

We all know about 3D printing but this video makes some very interesting points:

http://www.wimp.com/printingchange/'>http://www.wimp.com/printingchange/

What do you guys think? I've been aware of this technology for some time now but never really sat down and thought about what it could change. If the printing "cartridges" for these devices are affordable too then this could quite literally change the economy. I think we're going to live in interesting times....

The idea behind printing organs is amazing, but could lead to interesting problems such as people simply buying new ones, such as a damaged liver from drinking. Recycling could also be taken to another level, disposable products can be printed then melted and used again from what I saw in the video.

I just want to print lots of things now.

That was great thanks for the share

Ironically Im just having some models 3d printed for my masters project, they should be done in the next few hours. We're then going to test them in a water flume to examine streamlines so we can develop our model further. As an engineer, the rapid prototyping aspect of 3d printing is really quite amazing but not that surprising. I know this is off-topic from your discussion but its just a thought to consider - FEA has come on leaps and bounds only in the last decade or 2. So surely a massive development in the modelling stage is just 'keeping up' with that?

But anyway :P

I think you're spot on Alex and its only a matter of time. Why wouldn't you print your own stuff? Ofcourse you would! This leads to further issues about branding and fashion, sure they'll exist still, but they're going to lose alot of market to the home user making their own stuff instead!

Worth a google: REPRAP. Its a 3d printer that prints....3d printers. You ask someone to print you the parts and they charge you for them. A few more generic bits and pieces and you have your own 3d printer :P Its completely free and you can actually do this RIGHT NOW and start building your own printer... This is another interesting concept :P

I think polymer 3d printing will become VERY home user available pretty damn quick....metal sintering will probably take a while to get it safer and laser sintering longer still (or perhaps never to be honest). I went to a lecture on 3d printing 3 weeks ago from a guy in the aerospace market who is working on bloodhound in Swansea uni. He's said that 3d printed parts are already making their way onto aircraft (currently non-structural items, but things such as lightweight door hinges, nacelle covers, air ducts) but given development and time there will be no reason why you can't print some major components....

Exciting times indeed! Get on the band wagon now :)

• Like 1

PaRtZ interesting points indeed. Wasn't aware of the RepRap :D It makes the whole concept of 3d printing sound even more ridiculous to me.

Another added benefit of people being able to print things at home is that you're essentially allowing for a whole new community of engineers to emerge. There are bound to be thousands of people who have got a knack for design and a lot of great ideas but no way of making them happen. With this technology, we're opening ourselves up to a new world of ideas and along with them, a way of rapidly implementing improvements. So an innovative design that turns out to have a fault can quickly be re-designed by the community and implemented by the user at the cost of printing the updated unit.

Commercial 3D printers are already available and not as expensive as it would seem:

http://printrbot.com/

• Like 1

That's incredible, I knew it was in depth but not up to the stage where we will soon be able to print organs?! That's madness.

I love the community thing too, reminds me of little big planet where the most creative stand out and get appreciated for it.

• Like 1

That's incredible, I knew it was in depth but not up to the stage where we will soon be able to print organs?! That's madness.

Lol soon, is a bit of an understatement... I think we're still decades away from that even optimistically. But yeah it is madness....

Looks amazing, is there a certain software or programme all these run off? I like the thought of designing products but I have no clue with 3D computer programmes. What is the best one to learn? It seems such a new technology to be available to the public that I am struggling to find the answers to all my questions.

Cool, cheers. I more had an idea of creating something myself to sell. I guess any CAD software will do as long as it can be saved in a format that suits the printer. I will give the google one a go and hopefully I can get the grip of it, and it can do what I want it to do.

I did but sold it on, more economical for me to get better quality stuff made elsewhere.

Been loads of decent non commercial ones on kickstarter, but they can't do the higher res stuff as well.

Edited by ZeroMatt

Reminds me of the 'Replicator' from Star Trek when he said "ask Siri for a steak"...

I know charge have printed dropouts, but will this mean bikes will be a lot cheaper if anyone can simply print out an Inspired or echo? Or will the big companies be forced to print 'better' products