Does anyone else use Tar on Rim's?

no1harts

Just started riding again after 10 years! And the first things i got once i got my bike was some Roofing tar!!

I looked around the site and apart from grinding & sanding i couldnt see it used as a method of improving braking,

So just wounderd if other used tar or if i was crazy :)

Simon

when the rim grinds fresh and harsh i dont use tar,but as it wears down and gets slippier,i put tar on the rim.mainly because i am too lazy to grind every 2 months lol

hope that info helps...

edit:forget sanding lol

Edited by FamilyBiker

Personally I think pads have improved alot over ther years, makes it easy to get your brake working perfectly good enough.

Of you have to resort to using tar your doing something wrong.

• Like 1

I always carry some about, just incase my brake suddenly goes poop,

Or if I have to remove my tyre from a puncture I touch it up with tar to work in the brake again..

deja vu!

edit:ah,as i´ve seen you liked my post you know what i mean lol.

just did a fresh grind on my rear rim today,nothing compares to that scratchy honk of a new grind and its precise power!

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

i use tar on a fresh grind with rockman blue pads. awesome brake

Don't use tar on a fresh grind, kinda defeats the purpose of a grind... It rolls on between the gaps/rough edges the grind does and makes your rim smoothen out much quicker.

+ 1 on the no need.

My brakes tend to work right down to a near smooth rim again so long as I dont fiddle with the setup.

Good bleed, good sharp grind, good pads and a good setup should see you right.

Ive just stuck on some new rockman blues on a dull grind, and they're amazing as they are. I'm yet to freshen it up so I cant see why tars needed.

Edited by Echo Lite 09

Don't use tar on a fresh grind, kinda defeats the purpose of a grind... It rolls on between the gaps/rough edges the grind does and makes your rim smoothen out much quicker.

+

There's no need for it when you're using the best brake pad on the market ;)

when the rim grinds fresh and harsh i dont use tar,but as it wears down and gets slippier,i put tar on the rim.mainly because i am too lazy to grind every 2 months lol

hope that info helps...

edit:forget sanding lol

I grind my rims every 2 weeks

do it like this if youre lazy like me :)

+1

It's a habbit I got into when I used to run TNN pads

I never said there was any thing wrong with using Coust pads, but I commented on your claim that they are the best pad out there, if they are so great then even less reason to carry tar with you.

And even less chance of that your brake might go shit for no reason.

Personally I use tnn blues and after a tube change my brakes still work as required for my riding style.

IMO to many riders expect an impossible amount of hold from their brake in situations such as a failed gap when the brake slipped. And then blame the brake for being shit for failing the gap.

Maybe I just have much lower expectations of a working brake ?