has anyone made his own pad refills?

FamilyBiker

good news,i survived!

pads are trustworthy,but:

my grinds pretty dead,so they didnt perform as good as i thought.

they seem to be a fair bit harder than echo snowies,which had the same feel of low bite,great hold when i rode them.

so,that are officially the harsh grind pads now,will try a softer set now and these again when i ground my rim freshly.

they took a good while to develop a relatively "un-loud" honk,maybe beacause theyre that hard it took that long for them to align to the rims sidewall angle...

but hey,it works!and there are many copounds left to try.

pretty proud of myself,i made a safety-relevant part of my bicycle by myself without decreasing the safety aspect haha

test vid will be uploaded in a few mins

edit:still processing now,but should be up soon.

i know,tailwhips arent rear brake related,but whats a vid without a tailwhilp?:)

Edited by FamilyBiker
  • Like 1

Seems a pretty respectable test model, few people hit gold fist crack So fair play.

While your there could you develop pads that work On unground rims?( I really hate the look of a grind) It might be worth testing your pads on both..

I must confess i reallu wanted to see a slo-mo face plant but hey ho :P just kidding im glad it went well.

i kind of expected a crash,but even after 2 hours session i just came hone from theres no issues.

after half an hour they were aligned to the rim and got better in bite,but they deffo want a grind.

to be honest i AM making softer compound pads as we speak,so there should be some for smooth rims.

only thing is that the smooth rim pads need to have a cold polymerization(to get rid of the elasticity,which is there first),which means they need a week to be rideable.

the hard ones can be tempered in the oven,as i mentioned earlier,so they take 4-8 hours,then after cooling them down they can be installed directly.

the fresh pads in general are like silicon for sealing bath tubs and stuff,pretty wobbly.

after the curing process theyre less elastic,but can be torn apart easier.

you dont wanna know how many pads i broke apart to determine the right moment to stop curing hahaha,think its 5 pairs

new day,new update(99% of the posts in this thread are from me,shame)

post-30389-0-04635000-1379848556_thumb.j

so far i got 1 hard set installed,4 sets of hard pads in stock,and the rest you can see here in the making.

2 of those are exotic compounds with too much colour,just to try its influence to the compound,the rest is a smooth rim compound.

in my experience the colour is softening it up again,which makes things even more unpredictable...

i´ll send 2 sets to dave33 to determine their hardness and to have a second opinion about their performance,he´s going waaaay bigger than me,so its a good test for sure.

Edited by FamilyBiker

so,as i said to öiam in a pm,i´ll definitely try all compounds for myself before giving any pad to anyone.

dont want to use someone as a crash test dummie.

the only one who will get samples for hardness testing is dave33,he built the mould for me,and i cant thank him enough!

(he made himself a test dummie through this,so its okay ;),little joke)

once the testing is done and the right 2 compounds for smooth and ground rims are found i´ll give some away,for the cost of postage and a little donation to keep me supplied with resin.

once theyre one like another and without any imperfections theyll be a tenner or so,just to compensate the few € the material and an hour of time,costs me.

thats pretty good regarding i have energy consumption using the oven for tempering and working with irritating stuff.

that would be 2-3€ per set i got, to put them into future development,sounds fair to me.

may i say again that they work good?happy chappy!

Edited by FamilyBiker

a fiver would be awesome,i could buy bigger ammounts of resin sooner,wouldnt leave me with the problem to wait and pay for postage each time i order that stuff.

i have to calculate how much a set of pads effectively costs me,lots of hours in the oven for hard pads.envelopes to send them are -.50ct each,as i said,i need to sacrifice spare time in which i could ride etc.

now every set looks the same and is free of bubbles(some have,but only on the surface one would sand down anyways),so i would pretty much speak of a product now.i think somewhere between 10-12 Euro a set would be realistic once i can make enough to sell them,theres postage too, and i dont wanna give pads away as expensive as established ones,to be honest this was kind of the reason i thought about making them myself,bought pads set me back too much imo.its still just polyurethane...

a name for the pad models would be cool,just to get them in your brains guys haha!

green,hmmmm,hulk pads?

i´ll now glue some medium ones in as my grind is just dead,and 2 other compounds i´m yet to test.

edit:just removed the hard ones,they had NO signs of wear,not bad for 3x2hours sessioning

Edited by FamilyBiker

Germanic ? Lol doesn't that mean some thing to do with the iron age? Sounds good ha

if cerictgm could choose a name theyll be the "hitlerland pads" lol

few ideas(of which some are obviously jokes)

-pad-al-kicks

-rad pads

-pad and brakefast

-pad-o-phile(not my favorite haha)

Edited by FamilyBiker

Sanitary pad.

Bachelor pad.

Cock block.

All better names than the aforementioned. Feel free to use any of them.

:) as i said,some were planned as jokes,but let the brainstorming begin

rim eaters

boogers (colour pointed on that one)

apple pads(colour again)

btw they really look a bit like sanitary pads,wont choose this one though ;)

Edited by FamilyBiker

ah,you have to name it after the pad it came from,plus the surnames first letter?

wouldnt be cool for me it was a v!z pad and my surname begins with a "j",now put that together hahahahahaha

n.wood:green cheeks

joking aside, i´d prefer non sexual related names :)

edit:

soft pads:smoothies

hard pads:ruffnecks

and if dave33 wins some comps while riding my pads i´ll think about "kerrang!"

Edited by FamilyBiker

sooo,for those who are interested,i was out last evening to test softer pads,and they kind of sucked.

dont know if its the fact my rim needs a grind(and the pads arent for smooth rims),or the compound bein not fully cured,or even my rim not bein totally smooth.

but to point this out:"softer pads are for smooth rim" is a misassumption.i and others i talked to thought the same compound in another hardness should be used for smooth rims,but there seem to be many other factors that determine a smooth rim pad.

need to figure out if theres a difference in polyurethanes i may use to better my pads,did a bit of testing with echo refills and a v!z pad etc.

just held a lighter to them to see if theyre thermoplastic,and found out they smell very differently when burnt,some smell like phosphor,some like burnt tyres.

so its definitely DIFFERENT BASE MATERIALS manufacturers use,not just polyurethan based on polyol and triisocyanate

i´d like to show the plastic pro geek guy to show up somuch right now!

btw my hard pads rule,its weird

If i had way more time on my hands id gather a sample of every rubbery sh!t i could find and give them all a go.. but im not that that well endowed with time theese days :(

Thinking outside the box at other factors in performance, if youve ever polished ally youll have noticed you never stop getting a grey residue on your cloth, unlike steels ect. This property may have a bearing on the types of compound that are suitable for pads, experimenttastic ive a feeling the best is yet to come and will come in an unexpected form.

we´ll see,i wont stop making pads and in the end there will be something useful.

just started to microwave cure them in intervals,it bleaches the colour and they get less elastic

edit:ground the rim and using microwaved pads today,(monday).

well excited about the results to come....:)

Edited by FamilyBiker

after testing all 3 compounds,and finding only the hard ones are good(medium were good on a grind,but not awesome) i come to the conclusion i need a resin that hardens more,like 90a or something.

i mean, they lock the wheel up,theres no doubt,but i deffo want more bite for my pads.as i said,they are like snowies,no bite,great hold.

i´ll order some other material now and try this out.

if someone wants some pads for the cost of postage and is running a really harsh grind feel free to pm me,got 3 sets of hard and 3 medium left.

(would be nice to get a few bucks to invest in new material though)

around 4,50 gbp google says.installed pairs of medium and soft pads on my coworkers mtb today,just to have them tested on a smooth rim,and theyre awesome.

and thats with evo mounts and a flexy frame...

so my final conclusion for the can of resin i used so far is:

-80a,resin as it is:worst bite,best hold.smooth rim pad for tarred rim.

-resin with 10-15%of filler:better bite,good hold:smooth rim pads as desired

-20-25% of filler:what i´ve tested today,like the above ones but a bit better hold

everything with more filler added has been tested on a fresh grind now:unexpected:bad bite,great hold(for these i figured out they fill the grind with white powder after a few hours ride,which isnt desired,so they will be ditched),thats the hard pads and ultra hard pads

this shows that the amount of filler adds some bite at first,but over a certain amount only makes the pad harder and the bite decreases again.

and also shows that i actually created mostly smooth rim pads,what i didnt think to be honest.we´ll see how the pads perform for dave33,he´s mainly after great hold for frontwheel stuff.

stay tuned,90a is the way to go now!resin is already ordered :)

Edited by FamilyBiker