has anyone made his own pad refills?

FamilyBiker

you should wait for the next batch i ordered the resin for yesterday,as i said all the pads turned out to be best on a smooth rim.

the super hard ones work on a harsh grind,but you dont wanna clean your rim every few hours riding,the aluminium hydroxide filler makes fills the grind up.shame,they hold great.

and you´ll end up with a white rim and a bad bite...

could be different for different rims though,i only had mine to test,an atomlab GI

i said it several times,the pads are still in their baby shoes,but i will keep doing this over the winter and later models will be better in terms of performance.

Edited by FamilyBiker

update:90a resin turned up today.

as i speak the first set is curing,so curious of the outcome!

in the meantime i thought about evacuating the resin while in the mould,with a vacuum pump(in a glass exsicator).

would make the stuff even tougher not to have microscopic bubbles in it.

in the meantime i thought about evacuating the resin while in the mould,with a vacuum pump(in a glass exsicator).

would make the stuff even tougher not to have microscopic bubbles in it.

could you put the mould on a vibrating surface to bring the bubbles to the surface of the resin?

when i used a vaccum chamber to remove bubbles from epoxy resin the results were a bit hit and miss.

could you put the mould on a vibrating surface to bring the bubbles to the surface of the resin?

when i used a vaccum chamber to remove bubbles from epoxy resin the results were a bit hit and miss.

i know about the problems with evacuating resins,they literally begin to boil below 760mm hg.

just found out,while watching my mould a few times,that the new resin takes longer to cure and is liquid like water,so it could be possible for me to not having to evacuate,cool!

the first batch of pads(from which i have a few sets left btw ;))was pretty compact and most of them bubble-free,so atm i´m looking forward to it to work as desired :)

• Like 1

Does it boil without being in the oven?

it boils because every liquid has an air pressure in which it begins turning into a gas,the "gas pressure"

evacuating and curing in the oven are 2 "different pairs of shoes",evacuating gets the bubbles out of the liquid resin while curing builds up polymer chains

right now i got a new problem:90a seems to be "plastic hard",weird,anyone got some tnn lgm and can tell me about the consistency of th rubber?

it boils because every liquid has an air pressure in which it begins turning into a gas,the "gas pressure"

evacuating and curing in the oven are 2 "different pairs of shoes",evacuating gets the bubbles out of the liquid resin while curing builds up polymer chains

right now i got a new problem:90a seems to be "plastic hard",weird,anyone got some tnn lgm and can tell me about the consistency of th rubber?

Im mostly a twat so excuse the obviousness of the question but if the 'liquid' can reach its boiling point in low atmospheres while in room temperature surly it will cure without the need of an oven initially?

Didnt phrase that well..

Edited by f**megently

will cure without the need of an oven initially?

it doesnt need the oven,just speeding things up a bit,curing need a week without and 4 hours with an oven

And what would happen if you raised the pressure? Injection mould style? Would you need to raise th curing temperature. Would that speed up cure times

to get it cured in the same time,yes.

the new stuff is actually bubble free,so i´ll ditch the pressure thing for now.

echo snowies are softer than the new ones i made,need to test them now.

kind of confused now,the 90a mix seems to be so hard that it literally polishes the rim,and no power at all.

now i´m stuck until the softening agent arrives,then i can find my way down to the right shore hardness.

theres definitely a line,when you cross it all advantages of the pads are gone...

It's almost like pad prices are as they are because they know something we don't through research and development, rather than just buying some stuff and hoping it comes out alright ;)

I jest, I've enjoyed following this thread even if I'm never going to make any pads nor buy any non disk pads.

I've enjoyed following this thread even if I'm never going to make any pads nor buy any non disk pads.

do you think its over now?

no way!

just getting started.

if i have to go through "poor mens r&d",i´ll do it,i WANT TO make my own awesome pads.

Edited by FamilyBiker

brits and me,the neverending misunderstoodmentish thing :)

was also joking and you didnt get it too

wheres the "i dont want to live on this planet anymore"-farnsworth?

joking again,giving you another chance ;)

probably to post something like above again,but who knows

• Like 1

So the wonder jiz didnt work then? ;)

it didnt.the only way to solve cured polyurethane is to re-cure it with isocyanate.so i took pads from the old batch which broke while demoulding and were to soft.and powdered them,thought i could soften up the compound with mixing that powder in.

i have the vague suspicion i need an urethan rubber,echo cnc refills seem to be made from something like that.but first i´ll try a softener to not having to bin my whole resin,have 80% of that stuff left lol